Digital to analog split

Steve Ferreira

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hello everyone,

I have an event coming up where the band doesn't want me to mix there IEM's. They have requested I supply a seperate 24ch mixer onstage so they can mix themselves as they need during the show. That's fine by me, less work. The problem I'm having is that I will be using a Digico D1 and need to go in an analog mixer. I have never done this before, but think I have an idea of how it would work.

Here goes:
I should have enough outputs at the DigiRack on stage. I was thinking of just using direct outs to these outputs and run a snake to the analog mixer onstage. Am I correct or way off?
Will me changing the fader levels and eq change the direct outs also?

Thanks

Re: Digital to analog split

The direct out pick point should be assignable in the console. Usually, right after the preamp is the preferred spot. Unfortunately, that does still leave the preamp in line, which means if you touch the gain, it's going to mess with their monitors.

The usual way of doing this would be to do an analog split before the signal hits your console.

Upon further reading on the D1 once you select a direct out you have the choice of:

Pre Mute Pre Fader
Post Mute Pre Fader
Post Mute Post Fader

You also get a +/-18db trim knob and a -10db pad.

What isn't clear is if the main trim affects the direct trim.

Upon further reading on the D1 once you select a direct out you have the choice of:

Pre Mute Pre Fader
Post Mute Pre Fader
Post Mute Post Fader

You also get a +/-18db trim knob and a -10db pad.

What isn't clear is if the main trim affects the direct trim.

You will have to consult a block diagram as all of those statements are very vague. I would hope that "Pre Mute Pre Fader" would mean "right after the preamp, before EQ, dynamics, inserts, etc" but there is no way to know without the block diagram.

Hello everyone,

I have an event coming up where the band doesn't want me to mix there IEM's. They have requested I supply a seperate 24ch mixer onstage so they can mix themselves as they need during the show. That's fine by me, less work. The problem I'm having is that I will be using a Digico D1 and need to go in an analog mixer. I have never done this before, but think I have an idea of how it would work.

Here goes:
I should have enough outputs at the DigiRack on stage. I was thinking of just using direct outs to these outputs and run a snake to the analog mixer onstage. Am I correct or way off?
Will me changing the fader levels and eq change the direct outs also?

Thanks

I'd just rent a splitter snake and be done with it.
Separate preamp control is a fairly big deal.
If they really want to be separate system, give it to them. It will be just as easy to patch.
plus, If you share preamps and something goes wrong with their mixes, you will take the blame.

The direct out pick point should be assignable in the console. Usually, right after the preamp is the preferred spot. Unfortunately, that does still leave the preamp in line, which means if you touch the gain, it's going to mess with their monitors.

The usual way of doing this would be to do an analog split before the signal hits your console.
Period.

Do a proper analog split, otherwise you will add latency to an otherwise analog setup. Plus the downsides mentioned above.

Splitting digitally for FOH ist fine but I strongly advice not to to it for an analogue IEM setup.

Splitting the signal at the original stage input falls under the heading of addressing the problem as far "upstream" as possible........always my preference.

Splitting the signal at the original stage input falls under the heading of addressing the problem as far "upstream" as possible........always my preference.
Another good thought.

This way you always have the chance to exchange any desk or create a FOH mix on the monitor desk, should a FOH desk failure occur.