DIY switch box for measurements proposals

Marcel de Graaf

Freshman
Aug 14, 2014
Best all,

Does somebody has a some diy examples of a simple switchbox that
consits of multiple phantom powered mic inputs?

gr. Marcel

Re: DIY switch box for measurements proposals

Best all,

Does somebody has a some diy examples of a simple switchbox that
consits of multiple phantom powered mic inputs?

gr. Marcel

I used to do exactly that.

I had a 8 position 2 pole switch that would switch out 6 different mics.

I have a measurement cart that has 8 spools of different colored wire-and the mics are color coded as well.

I built a little adjustable pad inside a 1' mic cable (color coded as well) that had a little pot in the MXLR. I could adjust the levels of the different mics as needed to match the sensitivity.

The ground was common to all positions, while pins 2 and 3 were switched at the same time.

It worked well for years, until Smaart 7 came out and then I could see all the mics at the same time.

I mounted the switch in a single gang electrical outlet box, and had 4 mic jacks in a "quad" electrical box.

All the boxes were bolted together.

There was a single cable that came from the switch to an XLR input to my measurement system.

The only thing that did not "work so well" was that by using a single mic input measurement system, you had to write down all the different input delays of each of the mics, so that needed to be changed each time.

Hello Ivan,

Thnx for the reply.

I am going to work it out with a two pole switch, bases on a relay, so i can switch
it from a distance.

I am setting up a measurement system, bases on a TEF analyzer, with a tower, and 10 diy mics in a quarter arc
around the center DUT. At this way i can perform my measurements while sitting comfortabel in my garage when
the weather is bad.

I only have to run 2 cables to my switch box, mounted on the tower.

gr. Marcel

Hello Ivan,

Thnx for the reply.

I am going to work it out with a two pole switch, bases on a relay, so i can switch
it from a distance.

I am setting up a measurement system, bases on a TEF analyzer, with a tower, and 10 diy mics in a quarter arc
around the center DUT. At this way i can perform my measurements while sitting comfortabel in my garage when
the weather is bad.

I only have to run 2 cables to my switch box, mounted on the tower.

gr. Marcel
If you use relays- you only need a single pole switch. Just keep all the grounds common and switch the hot.

YOu can easily find 12 position single pole switches.