DMX and water..

Re: DMX and water..

Get an IP rated fixture, and use the IP rated connectors. I have a feeling its not just the water that's causing the issue, do you have a terminator at the end of the DMX chain?

Get an IP rated fixture, and use the IP rated connectors. I have a feeling its not just the water that's causing the issue, do you have a terminator at the end of the DMX chain?

No terminator, but when its dry, they work fine. There may be a few mic cables in the mix. Gettin all DMX this week and a terminator as well. I want a splitter and a few are amplifiers as well. Will this help?

No terminator, but when its dry, they work fine. There may be a few mic cables in the mix. Gettin all DMX this week and a terminator as well. I want a splitter and a few are amplifiers as well. Will this help?

All DMX splitters also function as amplifiers.

Moisture can cause all sorts of issues. If you know it's going to get wet, the best approach is to use equipment and connectors designed for that environment. If the signal connections are getting wet, odds are that the power connections are as well, which can lead to an unsafe condition (electrocution hazard!).

Amplifiers in DMX world are snake oil... Honestly the only time you should need an amplifier for a dmx run is if you are going over 300' anything less and there is no issue. The splitters will help you with your cable paths but whats going to make that difference is find a way to keep the lines from getting wet. A terminator can solve issues but it may not solve this issue.

Amplifiers in DMX world are snake oil... Honestly the only time you should need an amplifier for a dmx run is if you are going over 300' anything less and there is no issue. The splitters will help you with your cable paths but whats going to make that difference is find a way to keep the lines from getting wet. A terminator can solve issues but it may not solve this issue.

You can go 1000+ feet with no issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545

While there are mixed stories regarding use of DMX line (120 ohm cable) vs audio cable (not 120 ohm) I would suggest getting all your Data lines run as data lines not on standard copper, Copper isn't just copper anymore. You may see a difference you may not but there is a reason Steve Terry helped make sure the spec for DMX required 120 ohm cable.

Anything's fixable, it just comes down to time and cost. If you've verified that the fixtures are in the proper mode, that DMX data flows properly with the fixture bypassed, and that the XLR connectors are actually making good contact, the issue is probably internal to the fixture. An internal failure is probably the RS485 transciever chip, or any related protection circuitry (likely to be minimal on this fixture). If you know your way around PCBs and are decent with a soldering iron, repair shouldn't take longer than an hour or so (probably less), and you'll pay more in postage than for the parts. On the other hand, an hour of bench time for a bench tech equipped to do SMT rework will probably be more than the fixture is worth, so repair probably isn't worth it unless you do it yourself.