Does damping factor have any noticeable effect?

Re: Does damping factor have any noticeable effect?

I don't use 6.0mm cable anymore, but I think the 4.0mm cables i've got should be fine, I mean there's no point in me getting rid of them and buying 2.5mm cable, i've already got the 4.00mm cable so I might as well keep them.

I don't use 6.0mm cable anymore, but I think the 4.0mm cables i've got should be fine, I mean there's no point in me getting rid of them and buying 2.5mm cable, i've already got the 4.00mm cable so I might as well keep them.

Agreed. From an electrical standpoint, thicker is always better. No need to downgrade.

Greg

Certainly. I was mostly hoping to point out that for future purposes there's no need to buy boutique ridiculously expensive wire when regular electrical wire of sufficient size is fine.

Hi TJ,

Richard - it seems you're overbuying your wire, both from a cable gauge standpoint (3m cables aren't very long) and from a "quality" standpoint - there's no need to pay for "ultra-pure oxygen free" or whatever other junk is sold as "premium speaker wire".

I was mostly hoping to point out that for future purposes there's no need to buy boutique ridiculously expensive wire when regular electrical wire of sufficient size is fine.

While I agree with you that the "oxygen-free" stuff is just marketing hype, I should point out that Van Damme's range of cables is very mainstream in the UK and widely used by PA companies of all sizes. It doesn't carry boutique prices. VDC carry most of the range. The Blue series and Black series speaker cables are available in a range of useful permutations of numbers of cores and CSAs and handle nicely.

Having said that, straightforward YY is fine for speaker cables, is available in even more permutations of cores and CSAs, and is cheaper. It's not as nice to handle, though.

Nick

You're right Nick, Van Damme is one of the most respected cab companies in the UK for live sound and recording studio equipment. I had my whole recording studio years ago kitted with Van Damme and so do quite a few other recording studios, it's not overly priced at all, very cheap to be honest and definately my favourite cable. To hell with all the QED, Ixos, Nordost cabling, they're just exteremely stupidly, massively overpriced, some of their cables cost hundreds and hundreds for a single cable that's only 1 metre long.

I've talked to and hired from a few pa hire businesses here in the UK and they all use Van Damme cabling. One of the things I always liked about their Tour Grade cable was the fact that the jacket was very thick and hence could take a beating.

There is one area in which some of the more expensive cables are worth it. And that is the stranding and the jackets. Yes size is all you need for performance. But how a cable "lays" and coils up is often worth some extra money. With all other things being equal-more stranding will make for a more flexable cable.

Cables that are hard to coil up can be a real pain to deal with.