Does this picture bother your OCD?

Re: Does this picture bother your OCD?

PS: I read about an unconventional way to separate ethanol from gas. Add water to ethanol blend in a gas can and the ethanol will bond to the water and separate out... Sounds a little bass akwards to add water to gas to remove ethanol, but some relatively practical way to remove ethanol for small motor consumption would be nice.
So, what do you do with the watered down ethanol? Is it good on pancakes?

So, what do you do with the watered down ethanol? Is it good on pancakes?

I remain suspicious about the wisdom of intentionally adding water to gasoline. If e-10 is 10% ethanol, and optimistically it bonds 1:1 with water and separates out, it seems a time consuming and rather difficult exercise without good visibility inside the gas can.

Please do not try this at home.

JR

I have one gas station in town that has pure gas. So now I can get that for my mower.
I have seen demo's of what ethanol gas does over time. Not pretty.
Also, my understanding is that ethanol does not hurt your engine, per se. It's that over the winter it will break down, and then clog up your carburetor.

I have one gas station in town that has pure gas. So now I can get that for my mower.
I have seen demo's of what ethanol gas does over time. Not pretty.
Also, my understanding is that ethanol does not hurt your engine, per se. It's that over the winter it will break down, and then clog up your carburetor.

This is correct. Actively using it, ethanol gas does not do much more than slightly lower per gallon efficiency, but if left for a while, it will separate a bit and raise hell in your smaller motors.

Yup a few years ago I had to rebuild my chain saw after all the fuel lines disintegrated. We have plenty of oil... Corn ethanol is a poor substitute. Fine to use a little in place of MTBE as a oxygenate (octane extender). Not fine IMO to push it up to 15% like the legislators driven by the farm lobby want to.

They are considering rolling back the federal mandates for annual ethanol use because people are buying less pump gas. The next legislative crisis, is how to make up for the declining gas tax revenue as they take from the pump gas buyers and gift to the Tesla buyers.

I bet they try (again) to use the GPS computer logs already in new cars to charge road use taxes.

JR

I bet they try (again) to use the GPS computer logs already in new cars to charge road use taxes.

JR

JR, since you drive so little, that would be a win for you, right? I guess it's all a matter of "how much". For instance I'm not completely opposed to the concept of paying for what you use [metered data] from wireless carriers. But at the current rates I do have a problem with that scheme. From my perspective the prices are just wildly out of proportion.

JR, since you drive so little, that would be a win for you, right? I guess it's all a matter of "how much". For instance I'm not completely opposed to the concept of paying for what you use [metered data] from wireless carriers. But at the current rates I do have a problem with that scheme. From my perspective the prices are just wildly out of proportion.

I don't look at this as win-lose... Road use taxes actually are justified, if we can trust that they actually get reinvested into the infrastructure.

The congress is always alert to major shifts in their revenue and the free ride given electric vehicles, the levered up mileage rates for gas powered cars, and perpetually weak economy, has bent the gas tax revenue curve downward. I'll leave my prediction stand, tax revenue is oxygen for congress, while they don't campaign on raising it, they do pay attention to it.

Some recent news about car technology and government to think about is not just uncle sugar wanting to read our trip computer for tax purposes, but now they are talking about regulating the cars actively talking to each other in real time to help prevent accidents. I don't think I'm being too paranoid to worry about a car broadcasting telemetry in real time including velocity that could be co-opted by speed limit enforcement to have the cars report themselves for speeding. Insurance companies are already using their own telemetry monitors in return for reduced rates.

I realize I can not rationalize breaking any law, like speed limits, and I am not admitting that I ever exceed posted limits. At least my '97 mustang cobra will not tattle on me. :)

JR

I don't look at this as win-lose... Road use taxes actually are justified, if we can trust that they actually get reinvested into the infrastructure.

The congress is always alert to major shifts in their revenue and the free ride given electric vehicles, the levered up mileage rates for gas powered cars, and perpetually weak economy, has bent the gas tax revenue curve downward. I'll leave my prediction stand, tax revenue is oxygen for congress, while they don't campaign on raising it, they do pay attention to it.

Some recent news about car technology and government to think about is not just uncle sugar wanting to read our trip computer for tax purposes, but now they are talking about regulating the cars actively talking to each other in real time to help prevent accidents. I don't think I'm being too paranoid to worry about a car broadcasting telemetry in real time including velocity that could be co-opted by speed limit enforcement to have the cars report themselves for speeding. Insurance companies are already using their own telemetry monitors in return for reduced rates.

I realize I can not rationalize breaking any law, like speed limits, and I am not admitting that I ever exceed posted limits. At least my '97 mustang cobra will not tattle on me. :)

JR

Bah, too much thinking. Unless your OCD only covers serious shit.
This is supposed to be a fun thread. Abate this and back to TP.

Thanks Bennett for introducing cats to TP and OCD. A quick search shows much fun potential.

Can't tell which way this one is voting....

Attachments

• cat-destroying-roll-of-toilet-paper.gif
    cat-destroying-roll-of-toilet-paper.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: