dolby lake / clair badged freaking out and white noising

Jeff Kenney

Freshman
Mar 4, 2013
have a dolby lake contour with a clair io sticker on it.

freaked out on me and white noised on both inputs.. powered down and it was fine for a bit then did it again a few hours later..

anyone else seen this? about to send it to LG just wondering if its a common problem.

Re: dolby lake / clair badged freaking out and white noising

Hi Jeff,

When you say "inputs" do you mean you see the front panel input meters go high? Do the any of the front panel mute buttons make any difference?

Assuming the input mutes do stop the noise, try taking the lid off and find the input A/D board. It's been a while since I opened one but there should be a ribbon cable from the input board to the main board. Try reseating this a few times at both ends then put everything back together.

Cheers,
Michael

freaked out on me and white noised on both inputs.. powered down and it was fine for a bit then did it again a few hours later..

anyone else seen this? about to send it to LG just wondering if its a common problem.

I have a unit with similar issue. On mine (setup 4 in/12 out analog) Analog inputs 1 and 2 are prone to very loud (peak) crackle, digital distorted noise. The problem would come and go and after a week of running the unit in my office, I cleaned and reseated to contacts on the input and output cards. My unit worked well for a solid 6 months and just last week the problem came back. I am certain now that the problem is associated with analog inputs 1 and 2 (on my unit) when I force those two to the AES 1 and 2 the noise goes away. As long as I use AES as the input to the Lake all is good.

I have a unit with similar issue. On mine (setup 4 in/12 out analog) Analog inputs 1 and 2 are prone to very loud (peak) crackle, digital distorted noise. The problem would come and go and after a week of running the unit in my office, I cleaned and reseated to contacts on the input and output cards. My unit worked well for a solid 6 months and just last week the problem came back. I am certain now that the problem is associated with analog inputs 1 and 2 (on my unit) when I force those two to the AES 1 and 2 the noise goes away. As long as I use AES as the input to the Lake all is good.

So are inputs 3 and 4 on the analog input card completely fine?

Yes, analog inputs 3 and 4 work fine with no issues. One time recently restarting the unit made the noise go away and it worked for the remainder of the day. The next day on power up the noise came after about an hour. The next day, the noise was there on power up.

Yes, analog inputs 3 and 4 work fine with no issues. One time recently restarting the unit made the noise go away and it worked for the remainder of the day. The next day on power up the noise came after about an hour. The next day, the noise was there on power up.

There's not much I can recommend short of trying to buy a new input card 2nd hand. Sorry. Dolby ended hardware support years ago.

FWIW The 4 input channels go through a pair of stereo A/D's and the digital output is combined in a FPGA before going through the backplane to the main processor board. Since only 1 pair of channels is problematic, the issue is somewhere around the 1st stereo A/D.