Im going to have to get a pile of wire for my 18s
Whats best for these speakons for soldering
Thanks

Re: double 18 subwoofer internal wire

Hi gents
Im going to have to get a pile of wire for my 18s
Whats best for these speakons for soldering
Thanks

If you have the typical Speakon jack for these subs, the tabs are .187" male, and I prefer the 3M brand uninsulated female mate for them, available from Mouser among many sources. I crimp and solder.

Buy some UL1015 style stranded hookup wire in 16 or 14 gauge, I've been buying wire lately from Allied Wire and Cable's website, and looking thru their bargain bin/remnants listing for that particular wire. Here's a link to their page for 14ga stranded UL1015 type with tinned copper stranding:

http://www.awcwire.com/part.aspx?partname=15-14-41t

If you scroll down, you'll see the list of current remnants pieces for sale at nice prices. Beware, they do have a $50 minimum, but that's not hard in our profession-check out their listings for 4 conductor portable cordage(SJOW, SJ, etc) and bump your order up with some new speaker cable, and they do have remnant spools of this cable often as well.

Best regards,

John

Thanks John

Forgot, if you want to keep paired hook up wires neat, chuck a length of each color(I usually go with black and red for a sub) in your drill, clamp the other ends in a vise(making sure both lengths are even), and give the drill a go for 5-10 seconds until the pair are nicely twisted. 12-15 twists per foot kind of thing.

Best regards,

John

... give the drill a go for 5-10 seconds until the pair are nicely twisted. 12-15 twists per foot kind of thing.

I learned that trick while researching vintage HIWATT amps. Stick both (all) spools on a wooden dowel or length of conduit to allow them to spin freely while the conductors are being wound.

@other John - spools of 14GA stranded copper wire in white, black, red & green wrap can be found at local Home Improvement stores, if you need it in a hurry.

Dave

As per my experience if you have the typical Speakon jack for these subs, the tabs are .187" male, and I prefer the 3M brand uninsulated female mate for them crimp and solder.
Find some UL1015 style stranded hookup wire in 16 or 14 gauge and fix them.