Drawmer and Dbx gate questions. Which to buy?

Re: Drawmer and Dbx gate questions. Which to buy?

You've picked up some good analog gear. Had a chance to use it yet?

Got to use the gear finally. The aphex gates worked great, drawmer compressors are great, little disappointed in the bss quality. I have bought 7 dpr 404's and sent back 5 of them so far. Issues like, attack button normal / fast not working. Scratcy pots, along with some being very loose and some hard as heck to turn. De-esser not working. Gain reduction light coming on way before it even hits yellow and still coming on even after adjusting threshold 10 db.
I just got one yesterday, bought it with a knob missing, problem is the post was broken off so its useless to me. Guy took it back no problem, but I noticed it was made in China. This one had a plastic post, unlike the others that said manufactured in england.

Glad the Aphex and Drawmer units worked out for you. As if I even need to ask, how does the board sound?

The apb sounds great, very happy so far. I can't wait to get it outside and see what I can do with it, I was in a rather less then stellar room, concrete floor, 1 concrete wall, steel ceiling. Windows on the back wall.

Got to use the gear finally. The aphex gates worked great, drawmer compressors are great, little disappointed in the bss quality. I have bought 7 dpr 404's and sent back 5 of them so far. Issues like, attack button normal / fast not working. Scratcy pots, along with some being very loose and some hard as heck to turn. De-esser not working. Gain reduction light coming on way before it even hits yellow and still coming on even after adjusting threshold 10 db.
I just got one yesterday, bought it with a knob missing, problem is the post was broken off so its useless to me. Guy took it back no problem, but I noticed it was made in China. This one had a plastic post, unlike the others that said manufactured in england.

I like yourself have been buying a lot of high end outboard gear from a few years back on the used market. The price to quality ratio is ridiculous right now as long as the gear is in good working condition or can be refurbed. I've found as well that it's hit or miss to condition when buying sight un seen (as you usually have to) and I don't blame you for sending things back. But of all the outboard I've ever bought the units I've been most happy with have been current FMR Audio RNC compressors. I've got six of them in my personal outboard rack at the top above a pair of BSS 402's (that work perfectly but I'm thinking of selling if your interested PM me) and a pair of Drawmer 201 dual gates. I like them better then any other comp I've used at any price. The only thing I like almost as much is the original DBX 160X or the blue face 160's for their character. I use RNC's in favor of Drawmer 241's and BSS 402's I own. I keep the BSS around mainly for the de-esser. It darkens the top end a bit but when you've got a clean rig and a really essy vocalist it's a trade off you are willing to accept. Other then that I don't like either the Drawmer or BSS that much. They're both a little dark in comparison and the dented BSS attack and release knobs are a bit awkward for me. Not to mention that if you want to link them you have to climb in to your rack to hit the switch on the back. I experimented with Klark PEQ's and high end Lexicon and Ensoniq verbs and FX but wound up settling on a Klark DN360 and plugin's hosted on a laptop for a 1 rack unit+laptop solution that runs several AMAZING Lexicon PCM verbs plus usually one esoteric delay like the Roland Space Echo or the Lexicon PCM 42 from a I/O box and laptop. Any latency is just pre-delay and isn't problematic. I'm gonna get rid of the BSS 402's soon but I will miss the de-essing function.

BTW the Loose/Easy to turn knob problem is mainly because when manufactured there was a grease put on the shafts of the pots. If the pots are cleaned with electronics cleaner it usually dissolves this grease making the knob feel different. I wouldn't worry about it unless the knob is REALLY hard to turn or really scratchy (after being exercised 50+ times). This indicates the pot is shot and needs to be replaced. Which isn't a big deal to me and my soldering iron. Your millage may very.