Dynacord Cobra4 or... (What rig)

I have a source that I can rent a Dynacord Cobra 4 rig for fairly cheap, but I have never worked with this rig and heard it once outside for 50-75 people at a local band festival.

System includes (per side):
Cobra4-Far (x1)
Cobra4-Top (x2)
Cobra4 PWH (x3)
Rack with 4 L2400 amps

Re: Dynacord Cobra4 or... (What rig)

I have a source that I can rent a Dynacord Cobra 4 rig for fairly cheap, but I have never worked with this rig and heard it once outside for 50-75 people at a local band festival.

System includes (per side):
Cobra4-Far (x1)
Cobra4-Top (x2)
Cobra4 PWH (x3)
Rack with 4 L2400 amps

Matt;
Is there a question in there at all? :?~:-?~:???:

Happy Sunday.

Matt....

I can't really give you a comparison, but I can say that this will cover quite a few folks without having to fly things. I have always been impressed with the coverage when simply stacked. I have done a couple thousand folks with a Cobra 3 rig a number of years ago. It was a sub/side smaller than what you list. I'll bet you'll like it. Quick and easy to set up and sounds great.

Steve, What is the Cobra4 equivalent to? Like, are they comparable to QRx212 or KF650 or even the KF850s.

And of course everything will be Ground stacked.

It's an all-front-loaded "line array" thing (in the LF and MF) with a regular HF horn. Kind of a purpose-built ground-stack line arrayish device, in between a KF650 rig and a true line array. I've heard some of these rigs, and I will refrain from comment, but my bad taste is probably due to the guy driving the rig.

Overall, I'd +1 to Dick about the coverage and capability, and would like to hear one of the rigs deployed properly!

PS- I thought Dynacord ceased distributing in the USA?

It's an all-front-loaded "line array" thing (in the LF and MF) with a regular HF horn. Kind of a purpose-built ground-stack line arrayish device, in between a KF650 rig and a true line array. I've heard some of these rigs, and I will refrain from comment, but my bad taste is probably due to the guy driving the rig.

Overall, I'd +1 to Dick about the coverage and capability, and would like to hear one of the rigs deployed properly!

PS- I thought Dynacord ceased distributing in the USA?

I've used a similar sized rig to cover 3k indoors(to about the middle of the S). 2 far over 2 top per side ground stacked. Sound wise, I like it better than vertec 4888s running v4, but the vertecs cover much larger crowds. If you run your subs hotter than your tops you have to do some adjustment of the crossover and delay to get them to match up properly.

Last I saw EV was the US distributor, but that may have changed. They still handle spare parts and recones.
crappy cell phone pics
1102001757.jpg

1102001758.jpg

In the past years of touring I have come across this exact rig once. I have to say it sounded decent, but disappointed me. According to the paperwork this rig should easily cover 1000 people, but it did not even come close. I was straining the rig all night to get it above the crowd noise. This of course could have been issues with that exact rig, but I have heard the same from others about the rig. Buy the rig? No. Rent it? Give it a shot and see how it works out.

Just a quick question, was the rig you used a cobra 2 or a cobra 4 system? They look identical, but the 4s are tri-amped while the 2s are passive. Also the 4s come in both top and far the top has a 120x30 horn while the far has 3 80x5 horns in it that combine to 80x15. We have some of both.

When they first came out, they were labeled CobraNear and CobraFar and have different drivers and different crossovers in them. My boss had some when they first came out (he claims the first rig in NA) and was terribly disappointed in them. They didn't cover as advertised and he ended up on the phone with Dynacord. The revised versions are much better IMO. So basically if they say near and far on the box and the crossover doesn't say COBRA4 i'd stay away.