Electro-Voice Zx1 and ZX3 DSP setting.

Ian Appleby

Freshman
Aug 3, 2013
Tampa Florida
I have a few zx1 and zx3 that I use with some amp racks that I have built. The processor that I use in the racks is a DX38. The amp racks are loaded with P3000. I don't plan on bi-amping the ZX3, just using them full range. The racks are just basically two way X-over stereo racks. Any suggestions on DSP setting for these two sets of speakers?

Any thoughts you have would be great. Thank you.

Not sure what your exact application is, but I use the ZX3 for vocals FOH and between set DJing at moderate SPLs. It is a very nice sounding speaker with two minor EQable deficits, a big peak around 6kHz and a bit weak mid bass to bridge down to a sub that is low passed at 90 Hz. See the FR plot on the EV spec sheet. I did not find presets on the EV website so I played around with the DSP (Xilica 4080) to knock about 3-5 dB off the 6kHz peak and bump up the mid bass around 3 dB in the 100 Hz range. I just did this at low SPL in my studio and it improved the sound at gigs. I don't have the exact DSP settings in front of me, but that is the gist of it. Sounds great as a floor monitor without the mid-bass bump and no sub, and sounds pretty decent with no EQ at all, just a little better with, pretty close to my EV QRX112s.
I have not needed DSP for the ZXA1, either for monitor or tiny venue FOH.