Elementary School Drama Program in need of supplies

Oct 6, 2012
MA
I am assistant director and choreographer for an elementary school that just started a drama program last year. We are without ear mics, side curtains to hide backstage, and anything else we could get. We are putting on our second musical and will be needing quite a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for funding or donations?

Thank you

~M

Re: Elementary School Drama Program in need of supplies

Meredith,

Does your school have a booster club or similar program? Maybe someone here knows of grants to apply for or similar, but all the schools I went to got their supplies the old fashioned way - by holding fundraisers and soliciting donations from the community. You really need two things, both the money and someone who knows where best to spend it. Honestly the curtains will probably be the most expensive part.

It can usually be some politics but you should probably start the conversation (with the right person / persons) about getting a Musical line item in the budget.

Seems like there's always a school with a theater doing a renovation, a local school here upgraded their theater and threw away all their old curtains. I missed saving them from the trash by one day.

Yup, there's a bunch of those. At a previous gig, Phil and I had the opportunity to pull everything out of a school that was being renovated. A 'like-new' curtain and travelers came out of there. New, everything we pulled probably would've gone for upwards of $50k.

We bought out the entire lighting / audio inventory of a small theatre in Manhattan just as they were shutting down as well. Things like that, along with the large NYC shop auctions recently have been a great way to find gear on a tight budget.