[WTB] Empty/Broken Electro-Voice Zx1

Robert Healey

Freshman
Jan 20, 2011
Lawrence, KS
I have a Zx1 that was dropped and experienced a shear failure of some of that parts that hold the front and back together. If anyone has a broken Zx1 with an intact cabinet (I just need the front and back - no grille, crossover, input plates, drivers, or horn) I'd like to take it off your hands.

PM if you've got something!

Re: Empty/Broken Electro-Voice Zx1

JB weld epoxy is good for repairing problems like yours.

I just tried that... it worked for some of the pieces that failed but not all. The problem is that the failed pieces are screw holders, so the JB welded joints are torqued when re-inserting the screws and the epoxy must be much less strong in torsion than pure tension (they claim ~4ksi tensile strength on the bottle) - two of the joints didn't hold when the screws were re-inserted.

I just tried that... it worked for some of the pieces that failed but not all. The problem is that the failed pieces are screw holders, so the JB welded joints are torqued when re-inserting the screws and the epoxy must be much less strong in torsion than pure tension (they claim ~4ksi tensile strength on the bottle) - two of the joints didn't hold when the screws were re-inserted.

The issue is that polypropylene is a difficult plastic to adhere to. http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/Hard_to_Bond_Plastics756739.pdf

Adhesives are available that will work, but you typically need to source them from industrial suppliers and know which specific adhesive you need (you might find a couple at the local hardware store, though)

I'd get in touch with EV for a replacement cabinet and move the guts to it. Must be substantially less cost than a whole new box.