Ethernet Cable Testing and Category Verification

Scott Helmke

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.scotthelmke.com
Just wanted to put in a plug for a relatively inexpensive TCP/IP cable tester I've been using for a few months now to verify that our Cat5e / Cat6 cable actually meets specs - something that's kind of important when you're depending on a skinny cable to carry dozens of channels while risking lots of physical abuse.

Black Box TS580A Cat 5/5e/6 Lan Performance Verifier - it's only a few hundred bucks, but it will verify actual category speeds. Looks like it was made by Fisher-Price, and the operating menus are very clunky, but it's been doing a solid job making sure our Dante cables are up to snuff. Even found a bad batch of wire from a supplier!

The only real annoyance is that it doesn't have Ethercon jacks, so I either have to use jumpers and adapters (risks compromising the test) or pull the shells off each time I test a cable.

re: Ethernet Cable Testing and Category Verification

Just wanted to put in a plug for a relatively inexpensive TCP/IP cable tester I've been using for a few months now to verify that our Cat5e / Cat6 cable actually meets specs - something that's kind of important when you're depending on a skinny cable to carry dozens of channels while risking lots of physical abuse.

Couldn't have posted this three weeks ago?!! :) I just took delivery on a new Fluke! This one seems more like one I can send out with a tech and not be waiting by the door for it to come back, like it's my daughter out on prom night. How is the durability in the hands of the gorillas?

Couldn't have posted this three weeks ago?!! :) I just took delivery on a new Fluke! This one seems more like one I can send out with a tech and not be waiting by the door for it to come back, like it's my daughter out on prom night. How is the durability in the hands of the gorillas?

Dunno yet, it's only been out on a job site once. Seems sturdy enough, anyways.

I've been wanting one of these for a while, does both copper and fiber for a reasonable price (about $2K):
JDSU - ValidatorPRO

The really good ones from Fluke and Ideal typically sell for $5K and up.

But wow, it's sure hard to beat the price of that blackbox unit, let us know how well it works for you.

I wouldn't call this TCP/IP cable testing. I would call it Ethernet cable testing. This is because Ethernet is a physical and data link layer description and the cables you are discussing being tested are in the physical layer. TCP/IP encompasses the next two higher layers, network (IP) and transport (TCP). I mention this because TCP/IP can operate on physical layers other than categories 5 and 6 like fiber and wireless in the 801 family of standards.

I wouldn't call this TCP/IP cable testing. I would call it Ethernet cable testing. This is because Ethernet is a physical and data link layer description and the cables you are discussing being tested are in the physical layer. TCP/IP encompasses the next two higher layers, network (IP) and transport (TCP). I mention this because TCP/IP can operate on physical layers other than categories 5 and 6 like fiber and wireless in the 801 family of standards.

Good point. Looks like I can't change the title, though.

Re: Ethernet Cable Testing and Category Verification

I did a search on the Fluke website for etrhernet cable testers with no success. What model did you buy?

Andre

I would not call it Ethernet cable testing either, since a category 5 cable terminated with 8P8C ends can be used for many things other than networking. There are many products that use such cables to transmit digital and analog audio and video. They can also be used to transmit 4 universes of DMX, AES digital, etc.

I would not call it Ethernet cable testing either...

I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for.

I know I'm typically using Category type cable with the modular 8P8C crimped on it for setting up Computer Ethernet Networks, therefore I'm interested in an actual Ethernet cable qualifier.

If I were just doing some AES audio, DMX, or other point to point connection that uses the same cable and connectors and pinout, I'd probably be happy with the basic continuity tester I already have.

I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for.

I know I'm typically using Category type cable with the modular 8P8C crimped on it for setting up Computer Ethernet Networks, therefore I'm interested in an actual Ethernet cable qualifier.

If I were just doing some AES audio, DMX, or other point to point connection that uses the same cable and connectors and pinout, I'd probably be happy with the basic continuity tester I already have.

I think most of the alternative uses would still require it to meet spec, otherwise they could use cheaper cable like mic cable. As far as I know the cable spec for video baluns is quite stringent.

I think most of the alternative uses would still require it to meet spec, otherwise they could use cheaper cable like mic cable. As far as I know the cable spec for video baluns is quite stringent.

Then you obviously need to get a tester or qualifier that will test your cable and termination assembly to the specification that is required.

This is going to be dependent on your situation and what you are doing.

Therefore it is important for you to fully understand what you are attempting to do and have the appropriate tools to test the connections.

In my situation it is networking. Consequently getting a network qualifier would be the ideal tool. If you are doing something else, you should look into what is specified by the manufacturer of that product.

Regardless, I'm going to call it "Testing Ethernet Cables" because that is what I am doing. ;-)