Event Safety: Tips Beating The Heat

Re: Event Safety: Tips Beating The Heat

I don't think they existed back in WWI, JR.... ;) How were the garters to deal with in the trenches?

I was more worried about freezing solid while walking around outside, guarding empty buildings at Fort Riley in the winter with less than tropical breezes coming off the plains. It was literally so cold that I had a tough decision whether it was worth taking off my gloves to drink from the bottle of cheap brandy I had in my pocket (it was but just barely).

JR

At least I had the guts to say what bothers a lot of people-and offered my solution-which works.

Yes it is not a pretty picture-sorry.

Hello,

+1

and.... You mean that you "had the balls" to say what bothers a lot of people.....even if they are chapped! heh heh...

Cheers,
Hammer

ps....becareful of what you say....that's how nick-names get started...

Last edited:

We carry a cooler and some wash clothes. Dip the wash cloth in the ice water and put it on the back of your neck. Instant cold.

One method I use to cool down is to rub ice on my inside arm, about an inch or so from where the palm meets the arm. There are numerous blood vessels there that are close to the surface and will help your body cool down.

Something I took from traveling in the middle east is that if you even think about needing some water, have a drink. In the right conditions, it will shock you how easy it is to dehydrate. Correlating to that, don't try to tough it out if you're feeling the onset of heat exhaustion. My understanding is that once you've had it the first time, your body will require less to bring on the symptoms the next time it is stressed.

At least I had the guts to say what bothers a lot of people-and offered my solution-which works.

Yes it is not a pretty picture-sorry.

Ivan, I used to have the same situation going on. Then I found something called Blue Star Ointment.

http://www.bluestarointment.com/

Burns like hell when you apply but the few times I've had it, It knocks it the hell out. FAST!

This stuff will kill anything.

Pat

I used to work on cars in the sun when it was 110 degrees outside. I got used to it of course, but one thing that really helped me in the beginning was to get those 1 gallon gatorade bottles, drink all the gatorade, then, fill it up with water and freeze the whole thing in a freezer the night before. When I would take the bottle out the next morning to work, it was a solid block of ice and would provide you with a bit of ice cold water for the whole day as it melted. Also a good trick if you have to do sound at Burningman, it gets hot and dry out there as well.

As far as the whole sweat rash between the legs when you are walking out at a festival in the summer, just take some lotion with you. You really, really don't want one of those rashes that Ivan is talking about.

We carry a cooler and some wash clothes. Dip the wash cloth in the ice water and put it on the back of your neck. Instant cold.

It's not about feeling cool or cold. If you get overheated and go down from hyper thermia, yeah you have to drop your core body temp. But the best way to prevent that from happening is to drink lots and lots of water. If it's above a hundred, then you better be doing close to a half gallon of water per hour. If you stop sweating or pissing, it's time to get out of the heat.

It's also important to remember that hydration isn't just a day of thing. You have to prep your body and hydrate before hand also, spend two or three days drinking as much water as you would if you were out in the heat.

Big hat, sunglasses, lots of sunscreen and water, and Dr Boudreaux's Butt Paste for the chaffing. Apply a little layer, and good to go for the day. I did an outdoor festival this past weekend, and although not too hot, it was rather sunny, and I probably put 10 miles on my boots, and no signs of the chaffing. Keeping hydrated allows you to stay mentally clear and refreshed for the afterparty, er, I mean, loadout.