Fastest "fast fold" option

Eric Lenasbunt

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2013
I have a series of events coming up where I need a very quick setup of 2 10' projection screens. I have one fast fold, but IMO it is not all that fast. I have used the Stumpfl screens before and thought that was a better design, but they don't seem as common here in the US.

Any ideas? It will be with a rear projection skin, so sadly no tripod pull downs or anything.

Thanks!

Re: Fastest "fast fold" option

In my experience, the skill of the crew and how well the screen parts are labeled and maintained are bigger factors than the brand of screen. Besides, skinning the screen takes a good chunk of the time, and I have yet to see a good solution to that aside from snaps.

Last edited:

Are you using the DaLite Fastfold or the Fastfold Truss? The truss frame screens from da lite can take quite a bit of time to assemble, especially with local crew unfamiliar with the construction of the truss design.

Using the standard Fast Fold or Stumpfl 'Monoblox' systems will result in a faster build time. Other than using the non truss screens, I'm not sure you can get it much faster unfortunately.

Depending on the needs could you have the screen pre-snapped on to the frame with one fold that runs horizontally?

I've had success with this when I've needed to get a screen out of the way temporally.

Philip

Currently using the DaLite Fast Fold frames. I need to time how long it is taking us to put it up, but I need to have these each built in 15 minutes or less with 2 guys per screen. It might be perfectly doable as is.

The monoblox system seemed faster to me each time I have used it...

Also, good suggestion about color coding/labeling.

Eric,

15min. sounds about right - we knocked out 2 9x12 HD FF screens last night in about that time. Quick-turns are oh so fun!

The Monoblock system has a lot of little thumbscrew to get lost, and I have little experience with Draper; FastFolds work well as long as the assemblers know what they're doing.