Favorite SDC?

So I'm in the market for a couple decent condensor mics to add to my collection, primarily for micing acoustic instruments for both live and recording use. Primarily interested in small diaphragm condensors due to their accuracy, but I'm always willing to hear opinions/rants on why something else is a better choice. I'd prefer a cardioid pattern, but am open to other options as well.

Any preferences, particularly at the mid-lower price end of the market ($350ish max)? Meeting riders isn't a concern.

Re: Favorite SDC?

Not seeing much love for the E914, one of my favourites in the kit. I've used it for OH, Hi Hats, Acoustic Guitar, Cello and Stand Up Bass all of them with great results (the Cello sounded so good with the mic's built in roll-off engaged that I'm pretty sure I mucked around with the EQ for a minute, bypassed it to compare and left it bypassed).

No experience with NT5s but we do have a set of NT3s that perform well.
Oktavas sounded good, didn't last too long on OH/HH duty unfortunately.

Hi Rob,

I work with a lot of acoustic instruments and currently have 17 Audio Technica U873Rs.
This is a hypercardioid mic with pretty flat response, works well on a wide variety of instruments.
One of these mics will NOT cover a whole Clarinet, gotta go with two, or go cardioid.
I have two cardioid and two omni capsules I can use as needed on these.
HPF and 10db pad, under $200.
A good dynamic alternative to the U873R is the Beyer M201.

Of the mics already noted, and within your budget, the Audio Technica 4041 is a very good sounding, neutral mic.
I'm guessing the Sennheiser 914 is similar to the 4041.
The AKG C535 is a favorite and can double as a vox mic.

Good health, Weogo

So I'm in the market for a couple decent condensor mics to add to my collection, primarily for micing acoustic instruments for both live and recording use. Primarily interested in small diaphragm condensors due to their accuracy, but I'm always willing to hear opinions/rants on why something else is a better choice. I'd prefer a cardioid pattern, but am open to other options as well.

Any preferences, particularly at the mid-lower price end of the market ($350ish max)? Meeting riders isn't a concern.

A SDC mic I really like for it's versatile placement options is the Audio Techinca ATM450. It sound about as good as any SDC in the same price range for most things and I have had excellent results with it on acoustic guitars and flutes.

Audio-Technica ATM450 Review

A SDC mic I really like for it's versatile placement options is the Audio Techinca ATM450. It sound about as good as any SDC in the same price range for most things and I have had excellent results with it on acoustic guitars and flutes.

Audio-Technica ATM450 Review

Kristian, do you have any experience comparing the 450 with a 4041? I really like the 4041 but an intrigued by the placement options the 450 affords.

I like the NT5 also and the SM81 for SDCs. A low cost but nice LDC is the AT2020. I use em on sax and clarinet all the time.

Sent from my iPhone

I was going to mention the AT 2010 as a sleeper. Same element as the 2020 but in a vocal style housing which also makes them reasonable size to use for instruments, especially acoustic.