FCC - your lights are too loud @ 700mHz

Re: FCC - your lights are too loud @ 700mHz

The FCC should get their own shit together before attacking innocent third parties. This is now happening in a lot of countries, we have been told by our governments to install the new lights, manufacturers have got them approved for radio interference, and then the shit hits the fan when the governments sell off the frequencies for use in a more demanding and sensitive manner than before.

The FCC should get their own shit together before attacking innocent third parties. This is now happening in a lot of countries, we have been told by our governments to install the new lights, manufacturers have got them approved for radio interference, and then the shit hits the fan when the governments sell off the frequencies for use in a more demanding and sensitive manner than before.

In this case, it seems that there was a manufacturing defect. FTFA:
According to a 2012 GE bulletin, the lighting ballasts were tested in accordance with FCC requirements, but a small number produced high-frequency radio emissions “that have the potential to cause interference with certain types of wireless communications.” The bulletin also said GE would replace affected equipment.

I'd be putting the blame on the manufacturer (and to a lesser extent the installing contractor) in this case, not the FCC.

In this case, it seems that there was a manufacturing defect. FTFA:

I'd be putting the blame on the manufacturer (and to a lesser extent the installing contractor) in this case, not the FCC.

Agreed, but the FCC is attacking the owner of the building, and the threat of fines are directed towards that (innocent) party, not the obviously far more responsible manufacturer.

There is a trend now, that consumers are being told they can't use their FCC-ECC approved stuff, and it is really getting ridiculous in some cases. And it is bound to get worse, with mobile communications having a insatiable appetite for bandwidth, shutting down anything that can cause interference will become increasingly important to the communications providers.

The real reason I posted this (yes, an ulterior motive): to point out how far the licensees of the recently auctioned spectrum will go to enforce their rights. Make no mistake, if you are still using 700mHz gear and interfere, you'll not like the results.

Don't use illegal frequencies in permanent installs (duh) and keep moving ;)~;-)~:wink: . I suspect there's a lot of 700 Mhz wireless still in use out there, especially at the band level.

As far as the OP, GE can't just come into private property and fix this on their own initiative so of course the FCC has to go after the equipment owner to force them to get it fixed. Makes perfect sense to me.