Fds-355

John Brauer

Freshman
Apr 14, 2011
Looking at this as an affordable way to get into aux fed subs. Currently using a driverack 260, which was purchased new.

Would I be going backwards sonically with BSS (older design). I doubt it, but want to check anyway...

Re: Fds-355

I would say the BSS still sounds better than the newer dbx processors. Something about the A/D D/A designs of the BSS & XTA processors just sounds better IMHO. I don't if that's just because they're British ;-) And BSS doesn't put in all that useless stuff that dbx does. Limiters on the BSS likely sound better too when you hit them.

Greg

I would rather have the 355 than the DR260, which does have some truly awful sounding limiters.

The Omnidrives are getting a little long in the tooth, and after getting beat on for many years, can be a little finicky.

If budget is an issue, maybe look for a used DR480 (though the 4800 stomps all over any and all of these processors - but also costs way more!)

I have a spare 355 that I'm ready to part with! I used it for the application that you are talking about and the number of parametric eq's vs the driverack units is really handy. It's also a great way to have another general eq for delays or fills on a two way system.