Feasibility of using SM/Beta 91 as theater stage floor mics.

Greg Cameron

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
I couldn't seem to find a clear answer on this anywhere. I realize for theater that the Crown PCC160s and the newer Bartlett TM-125 boundary mics are the typical floor style mics. Someone suggested the SM91 for the same type of use. But it seems to me that they might not be sensitive enough since they're intended for relatively high SPL applications relative to the usual suspects. Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Feasibility of using SM/Beta 91 as theater stage floor mics.

The SM91 is essentially the same type of mic as the pcc160. It is a boundary mic for micing large areas. It was built for floor micing theatre productions. The pcc 160 was just better, therefor it became the "standard".

The SM91 was placed in a kick drum at some point and it caught on like wildfire. When the Beta 91 was introduced it was built with a padded output to so that it would be easier to use in a kick without clipping channels on desks with no pads. There's nothing that says you can't use it on the floor, but you'll need a lot of clean gain to make it work well....

I couldn't seem to find a clear answer on this anywhere. I realize for theater that the Crown PCC160s and the newer Bartlett TM-125 boundary mics are the typical floor style mics. Someone suggested the SM91 for the same type of use. But it seems to me that they might not be sensitive enough since they're intended for relatively high SPL applications relative to the usual suspects. Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Thanks,
Greg

I have used the original SM91 for floor mics. My basic feeling about floor mics is they work great (if there isn’t any dancing at the time you use them) but only for chorus numbers. The actors today aren’t taught to project, so you really need a wireless mic on anyone with a line or a song. If you can get the director to stage someone with just one line, to deliver it into the face of someone with a mic you can save a wireless mic or 2 that way.

I have used the original SM91 for floor mics. My basic feeling about floor mics is they work great (if there isn’t any dancing at the time you use them) but only for chorus numbers. The actors today aren’t taught to project, so you really need a wireless mic on anyone with a line or a song. If you can get the director to stage someone with just one line, to deliver it into the face of someone with a mic you can save a wireless mic or 2 that way.

+1

/4char

A lot of times you can get the Shure 819 on e-bay for low cost. As far as I can tell they are essentially the same as a 91. The external preamp assembly is somewhat simplified.

It's easier to get gain before feedback with the PCC's, but Shures are useable.

Preamp in the board noise is not a problem. When using area mics like this ambient room noise starts to becomes apparent before any system noise become a problem.