Fed up..

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit area
Hello,

Really pissing me off that almost anywhere I go, there's someone asking me for "donations", panhandling, or just being an ass:

Parents, take some classes in child care, child development, or Parenting skills. How do you not understand that by screaming at your kid in a store, restaurant, hotel, airport, etc... that they're going to just listen and behave? Screaming at them, just gets them even more upset.... and the passersbys (ME) don't want to hear your crap (especially if you're swearing at the kid or using abusive language)

A very small percentage of kids are just born with something medical or mental that makes them unruly, but, the rest are a product of their ENVIRONMENT. If you treat them like crap...they'll probably grow up to be crappy people. Wishy-washiness in parenting, is what is causing your kid to NOT understand that NO means No.

Stores, restaurants, hotels, etc... are not playgrounds for your kids, they are businesses, so keep them out from under everyone else's feet, and teach them to keep their hands off of things that don't belong to them.

And, what is the deal with all of these chain stores collecting money for various charities? Collecting is fine I suppose, but if you ask..I will not DONATE my change, my bills, or time to help your establishment look like a Hero Corporation. Donate Corporate money, if you want to be a Hero.

The one charity that I find most offensive is a Literacy Campaign by Dollar General. (I only buy soda there, it's easy and cost effective) They collect money to fund reading programs. I thought that every American was entitled to go to school ? Even if a student were to drop out at the age of 16 (or whatever your State allows) one should have already been able to read for years...since Grade School ?

Even still, almost every community has an Adult reading/Education program, if, by some chance you somehow skipped through school without anyone noticing that you couldn't read.

If one is an Immigrant, there are the same Night School reading/speaking/writing classes available....it's part of the Naturalization Program, and it's free to LEGAL Immigrants.

So...my question is what are these "donations" being used for? No one seems to have an answer...atleast not one they'd offer.

I have always been generous with Charities, but, with all of the embezzlement scandals, misappropriated/misused funds, and redundancy in multiple Charities supposedly covering the same causes...I'm fed up! It seems that the grass-root Charities are the only ones actually accomplishing anything.

Hammer

Re: Fed up..

I like charities, since I can vet which ones I give to... unlike the popular alternative of someone else deciding how charitable I'm going to be, and to who. Not all of them are good, but there are plenty of good ones and more than one resource that rates their efficiency.