Finally pulled the trigger on a StudioLive 24.4.2

Re: Finally pulled the trigger on a StudioLive 24.4.2

Silas....

The first guess would be that the output adjustment next to the output XLR's was turned down. You have to have it full up. That said, it can seem like the desk has a low output. I haven't decided on that aspect yet.......

DR

I don't think I even realized there was an output adjustment near the XLRs...maybe reading the manual would have helped:lol:

Why would they put another level control after the main fader on the back of the console? Does that make any sense?

I don't think I even realized there was an output adjustment near the XLRs...maybe reading the manual would have helped:lol:

Why would they put another level control after the main fader on the back of the console? Does that make any sense?

Yes, just like Mackie did. Sometimes you wheel out a mixer on a cart and plug into the nearest XLR on the wall (which is probably mic level).

What *does* seem silly is to not ship the unit with that set to FTB.

I have worked with some Mackies that had a level switch between mic and line. "Deadly" if you hit it by accident in ther wrong situation...

FWIW, many Pioneer DJ mixers have a pot on the back, also. I think it is meant as a rudimentary form of system limit as it prevents the user from slamming the limiters or whatever with all of the 20 volts the desk can provide.

I have worked with some Mackies that had a level switch between mic and line. "Deadly" if you hit it by accident in ther wrong situation...

FWIW, many Pioneer DJ mixers have a pot on the back, also. I think it is meant as a rudimentary form of system limit as it prevents the user from slamming the limiters or whatever with all of the 20 volts the desk can provide.

Crest XR mixers also have the mic/line switch, but it's recessed to prevent accidental use. Regarding the Pioneer pot, it was on the DJM 800 but is within the software of the new DJM 900. It's essential to not overload line inputs without other pads.

Pics included because I happened to have both machines in my office...

Main outs of XR24

IMG_0278.jpg

DJM 800

IMG_0280.jpg

Actually, a level control on the mono output has some merit. It wool help you balance the output to the meters.

I'd you are running in full mono on the board, the left and right output will match the meter reading. Those two sum into the mono output which will increase the volume on that output, thus needing to turn it down.

If running full stereo on the board then summing mono, the mono output would be at full. If running partial stereo, then the setting would be somewhere in between.

Actually, a level control on the mono output has some merit. It wool help you balance the output to the meters.

I'd you are running in full mono on the board, the left and right output will match the meter reading. Those two sum into the mono output which will increase the volume on that output, thus needing to turn it down.

You have a very active imagination.

Page 134 in the manual states that both the mains stereo and mono outputs have exactly the same output level: +24dBu The mono is not "hotter" due to summing. It is the same. You can attenuate either as you need.

Page 134 in the manual states that both the mains stereo and mono outputs have exactly the same output level: +24dBu The mono is not "hotter" due to summing. It is the same. You can attenuate either as you need.

I've been using my MONO out to drive some extra subs. It does seem handy to have those little knobs but I keep them all the way up. Future routing may have me using a SUB out to do aux fed subs but for now the MONO out is my method.

I've been using my MONO out to drive some extra subs. It does seem handy to have those little knobs but I keep them all the way up. Future routing may have me using a SUB out to do aux fed subs but for now the MONO out is my method.

Provided any input can be separately assigned to the main LR and Mono buses, that is a great way to do a sub send. Aux fed subs actually should be group-fed subs, since having it on an aux allows the level in the subs to vary, which will affect the acoustical crossover, and possibly affect the alignment of the subs to the tops for that input. Having them on a group or other non-variable bus is a better way since the alignment will always stay the same. A shelf EQ should be used if less sub is required, since it affects the mains and the subs identically.

Edit: However, I still stand by my original opinion that knobs buried on the back of a mixer are useless. If I want less mono out, I'll bring down the mono fader! If there isn't a mono fader and just a mono attenuator on the back, then some designer needs to be fired.

Having a L-R output knob on the back of the Studiolive is completely dumb IMNSHO...like I said above, if I want less main L-R output, I'll bring down the fader.

Having a L-R output knob on the back of the Studiolive is completely dumb IMNSHO...like I said above, if I want less main L-R output, I'll bring down the fader.

If you are using the various outputs for things like mono feed to a PA and stereo feed to recording/broadcast/etc, having level controls on the outs is handy if not necessary. Not everyone uses such gear simply for running bands. There's a lot of audio outside of the usual musical gigs and concerts.

There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio.

If running full stereo on the board then summing mono, the mono output would be at full. If running partial stereo, then the setting would be somewhere in between.

I think you're both partially right. The stereo and mono outputs have the same maximum output level, but if you have signal common to both the left and right channels then the summed mono bus should have a greater level. However, that summation apparently occurs after the output D/A conversion, thus it is analog summation and any resulting difference in the summed mono signal level will be dependent on the relative levels and relative phase relationships of the left and right channel signals rather than being a constant.

Thank you Brad, that was the technical point that I think Dick threw to the dogs. The only addendum I want to clarify is that whether digital or analog, the signal level of a mono mix is always dependent upon the relative levels and relative phase relationships of the left and right channel signals. Now, maybe the bigger question is whether we were talking about the Mackie or the Presonus with regard to the mono output control.

-drew