FIR filters for home theater room EQ

Loren Jones

Sophomore
Jun 25, 2011
Hampton Roads VA
Hi,Just curious what you pros think of the theory of this. I just bought a denon HT receiver with Audyssey MultEQ room correction DSP built in. Apparently it uses fir filters for both time and frequency domain correction. You measure at 6 locations around the prime listening position while it produces very fast tone sweeps through each speaker. In my situation I definitely think it helped the sound of my system quite a bit.It seems to me like a pretty good application of an autoEQ technology since it is being optimized for a pretty small location around the prime seating location. What drawbacks do you all see with this application of this type of technology?Loren Jones

Re: FIR filters for home theater room EQ

Hi,Just curious what you pros think of the theory of this. I just bought a denon HT receiver with Audyssey MultEQ room correction DSP built in. Apparently it uses fir filters for both time and frequency domain correction. You measure at 6 locations around the prime listening position while it produces very fast tone sweeps through each speaker. In my situation I definitely think it helped the sound of my system quite a bit.It seems to me like a pretty good application of an autoEQ technology since it is being optimized for a pretty small location around the prime seating location. What drawbacks do you all see with this application of this type of technology?Loren Jones

I poked around on their website, and came to the conclusion that I'd need to read the real scientific papers to understand what the measurement system does with the data it collects. I'd be far more concerned with the algorithms for applying the resulting correction filters than the nature of any filters applied.

I know that's not much help.

Phil,I figured you might reply. It wasn't really much of a question. I am moving to a different house but once it is set up there I will try to post just an RTA trace with and without the correction applied. I know that is only the most gross measurement but...

Phil,I figured you might reply. It wasn't really much of a question. I am moving to a different house but once it is set up there I will try to post just an RTA trace with and without the correction applied. I know that is only the most gross measurement but...

An RTA will be only the barest of use here. Let me suggest SMAART or ARTA.

Since FIR can add quite a bit of latency, I wonder if the receiver delays the video to compensate...

I'm still relatively skeptical that a room can be 'auto equalized' without a human.

Digial video has plenty of latency already, and I am sure most of the receivers are adding delay already to their audio, so I doubt the FIR make this situation more complicated.

Since FIR can add quite a bit of latency, I wonder if the receiver delays the video to compensate...

I'm still relatively skeptical that a room can be 'auto equalized' without a human.

There is a place in the receiver settings to apply appropriate delay so the video and audio match.

It isn't perfect, but it helped correct some big dips and peaks in my speaker deployment caused by suboptimal speaker placement etc.