Flight cases

Steve Tarak

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Indy
Anyone build their own? Where did you come to pricewise vs new? What suppliers are available for parts (obviously P E is one...) Any tips, tricks or advice you might offer Baldilocks, ( I am a skilled carpenter, give or take a thumb tip...but that's not important now) or should I phone my people at Audiopile and Jan Al?

Re: Flight cases

Anyone build their own? Where did you come to pricewise vs new? What suppliers are available for parts (obviously P E is one...) Any tips, tricks or advice you might offer Baldilocks, ( I am a skilled carpenter, give or take a thumb tip...but that's not important now) or should I phone my people at Audiopile and Jan Al?

Hello Steve,

We've run the numbers and have come to the conclusion that it's cost effective to purchase rather than build a traditional road case. Time, build/layout space, tool purchase, wasted material, nasty adhesives, and cost to have parts shipped in, are some of the biggest factors.

If you're in need of a case for a console....purchase it, don't try to build one.

Cable and utility trunks ( painted wood only) can be a cost saving/time widdlin' task, but leave the amp racks, cosole cases, effects racks, etc.... to someone else.

Cheers,
Hammer

ps. look for deals on used racks/cases

As Charlie said:
Cable and utility trunks ( painted wood only) can be a cost saving/time widdlin' task, but leave the amp racks, cosole cases, effects racks, etc.... to someone else.

I build my large boxes for hauling monitors and painted them w/duratex.
These boxes fit 4 monitors exactly and custom cases would have cost a lot more
Everything else, I buy manufactured.
Especially racks. Someone is always selling good used racks cheaper than you can build them.

...Everything else, I buy manufactured.
Especially racks. Someone is always selling good used racks cheaper than you can build them.
Very true, and sometimes even new ones can be pretty close to the parts price of building your own.

For any standard item that is commonly found on the market like racks, this is a pretty good rule of thumb.

However, when it came time to find a case for my console (that I was not smart enough to find a used one with a case), that turned out to be a nightmare, and there were no used ones to be found, plus the new ones were all custom and cost damn near as much as the item they were going to be enclosing. So I bought a bunch of parts from Penn-Elcom and built it myself for about $225. It's got all the same furniture (latches, corners, etc.) as factory-built cases, and is covered in the same laminate. Even the rivets are OEM-correct. There is no precision woodworking involved, as the fine joinery is accomplished by the aluminum valances; and there is no wood finishing either, because the plywood is covered on both sides (laminate on the outside, padding and fabric on the interior). You will become an expert riveter by the time you are done.

On the other hand, you could simply buy a rack-mixer (like a MixWizard, etc.) and get a standard case for that for about 200 bucks.

I guess it depends if you buy cheap cases or really good ones.I have built many cases myself both mixer and road cases and it is a little cheaper. Basically what I do is build a box out of plywood,usually 1/2" or 3/4'for the sides and 1/4 for the top. I then laminate formica to the plywood. I use aluminum angle on all edges.They look good and have held up extremly well.

As Charlie said:

I build my large boxes for hauling monitors and painted them w/duratex.
These boxes fit 4 monitors exactly and custom cases would have cost a lot more
Everything else, I buy manufactured.

saw those photos awhile back Steve. Very nice work.

Re: Image uploading

You can't post pics here, you can only post links.

You can post pictures if you add them as an attachment (you may need to go to the advanced editor to do this).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 633495987683532308-what-has-been-seen.jpg
    633495987683532308-what-has-been-seen.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0

You're right. Thanks!

How do you get the pic and not just the thumbnail to show?

edit - used Steve Milner's work-a-round and it worked - Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that for a while - edit

attachment.php

Last edited:

Nice case. While we're showing off 712M cases, I thought I'd take a chance to share a set of monitor dollies I built recently:
http://gallery.me.com/rstansby#100081

I couldn't have purchased these for less than the cost of building them. I still buy 90% of my cases.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0

You're right. Thanks!

How do you get the pic and not just the thumbnail to show?

Once you attach the photo... preview your post and then click on the thumbnail... once it opens in a new tab (or window) ... just copy the URL and then insert that into your post as a link using the picture insert button next to the email button in the advanced editor.

attachment.php

Just like that... 8)~:cool:~:cool: Groovy monitor case by the way... really nice looking work! ! !

Here's another case - rack mount Mix Wiz case -
(now owned by Steve Tarak along with the Mix Wiz)

Slant case - built to be as small as possible.
At the front/thinnest part of the case, it has a removable 1 space rack panel that serves as a scribble strip
The rack panel is velcro'd on and removes to uncover a small cubbyhole for the littlite

Looked better once I hit it with a coat of DuraTex

attachment.php

Last edited:

And the infamous SRX722 Booster seats

They've held up pretty well.
Last time I checked with Joseph Dixon, they were still working well for him.

attachment.php