Flying Hardware

Leland Crooks

Freshman
Mar 1, 2011
Kansas
www.speakerhardware.com
I asked this in the line array thread in Varsity. But it was OT, got ignored, no problem.

I have a new line of cabs coming out, not diy, that will be flown. Aside from getting all the engineering approvals, I'd like to hear whose hardware you like, what you like and dislike. I personally have never flown a rig. Always ground stacked. Didn't have that much gear nor that size venue to handle.

From looking at other mfg's systems, there are a bunch of ways to cook this goose. The cabs are at least 6 months away from release because I figure the hardware will take quite a while to work out.

Re: Flying Hardware

If you're asking as an end user, the answer is simple. You use whatever the manufacturer says you use.

If you're asking as a manufacturer, there are indeed several distinct types of rigging hardware to use. Which style is most appropriate depends on the intended application for the speaker (install, touring, portable, etc.). Install tends to be more cost-concious and willing to deal with clunkier hardware (the speakers are typically flown once). Touring cares about loose parts, and how quickly the rig can get flown (typically from motors). Smaller portable systems often get flown from a wider range of structures (motors, lifts, truss, speaker stands, etc.), and may be less optimized for flying if that improves ground stacking. You really need to start by defining what it is you need, and then start looking at hardware (if you plan on designing in-house), or communicate your needs to a qualified engineering firm to do the design for you.

Re: Flying Hardware

Thanks Evan. Both install and portable systems are what's required. The install tbh I pretty much have figured out. Because it's easier, done once, and like you say, can be much clunkier. I've done a lot of install. What I have not done is the portable stuff. I will certain got take a look at the models you mention.

The plan is to get general design cues on what we want, then get an engineering firm to get it right and certify for us. I am aware this is a big bite to chew, and don't want to screw it up.