Forgetting gigs. How do you not?

Re: Forgetting gigs. How do you not?

Okay, there's been lots of practical tips here for various solutions so i won't belabor that point. I'd just like to add my personal perspective from nearly two decades of successful freelance audio work.

Having this happen to you once is almost a rite of passage. However, either you do whatever it takes to make sure it NEVER happens again, or you will not have a successful career in this business. You might still get gigs. But you're never gonna have a successful career. That's just a fact.

Here's the deal. I am a VERY absent minded person. And this has ALWAYS been my biggest worry. So i have made it my habit to do WHATEVER I HAVE TO to make sure it never does. At different times that has meant different things. But it has always meant significant effort. And in one particularly embarrassing episode it meant calling every client i had [nearly 20 at the time] and asking them to please tell me when i was working for them because i had lost my paper calendar in a regrettable washing machine accident. Embarrassing yes. But i didn't miss a single gig as a result. And i learned to keep my calendar electronic and backed up in several places all the time. I look at my calendar as my personal food source. And i like not starving. I suspect you like not starving too.

Take it from an old guy. Your reliability reputation is by several orders of magnitude your most important asset. And the higher up the food chain you get, the more important it becomes. At this point i derive probably 95 percent of my living based on my reliability and ability to work well with others. My tech skills are almost an afterthought.

tl;dr Don't beat yourself up over this. but... NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!! Good luck!! :)

My fiancé is great at reminding me of what I have planned for the week, don't know what I did without her.

Perhaps you could get a loved on involved in your scheduling to keep you on task.

Me: I do it the old fashioned way....although a bit obsessively
One at-a-glance calendar in my office - my gigging / family stuff is all listed
As far as gigging goes:
in addition to my paper calendar I have a Word document with my gig schedule (for quick reference)
in addition: all of my "contracted+deposited" performance and sound gigs are kept on a monthly-updated list on a flash drive in a safe deposit box (just in case my house burns down)
plus I have a folder with all of the contracts and job proposals

On all of the above I list the date, time, type, location of each event.

Overkill....maybe.....but since I'm juggling a busy performance schedule (and contracting musicians) plus providing an occasional sound gig (sometimes subcontracting techs/gear) I cannot afford to space things out.

Mike M

It goes the other way too

"Why aren't you here yet?"
"we did the gig last year and you didn't rebook"
"$$&*#^@!" ...... "Are you busy?"

One method I do to double check things is to do a email confirmation with the client/venue with the date in both the subject line and body. Whenever I get a gig request call, I search all my emails for said date, in addition to my calendar. This also can help protect you from being accused of dropping a gig when they never confirmed you in the first place.

In addition, I use Google Calendar, which I have synchronized to all my mobile devices.

I like to add to my calendar first and then send a confirmation e mail. This takes into consideration you check your calendar regularly. Its crucial you add to the calendar before confirming the date with the client. If you just say yes to a date without adding it first it can easily be lost in the mix of the day.

I had a few near misses so I started keeping a diary, that works pretty well, except sometimes I stop checking it (in times of not much work and therefore no point). And sometimes I say yes to something and then don't put it in the diary.

A few days ago I was offered a small job for tonight. Said yes, rearranged my week to fit it, and then, instead of going, I sat around and twiddled my thumbs and didn't even realise I had forgotten until 15 minutes after it had ended. The client tried to contact me when I was 40 minutes late but I am so so very used to not working Wednesdays, my head was far away from work mode I didn't respond to the beep beep of the phone.

There's nothing I can do to fix today but I am terrified of it happening again, what can I do to better safe-guard?

Lisa,
I read this a couple of times to see if you were pulling our collective leg, but I think you are serious. I am sorry to sound harsh, but the solution to your problem is you have to give a shit. Once you care that you have committed to someone to be at a certain place at a certain time performing a certain function, then you can use calendars and software and various other tools to help you remember.

I think it boils down to attitude. With me it's always been "I get to go to work" rather than "I gotta go to work".