Fr253hr vs u215

Othmane Alaoui

Freshman
Jul 6, 2012
Hello Guys - This is my first thread in this forum !

I would like to add more upgrade my actual rig ( 4 x EF508 ) + ( 4 x SRX728) by adding some bigger boxes. The 508's will be used as delay boxes or side fills for larger events.

I personnally have no experience with the Unity 215 nor the EAW253HR witch I can get for very good price.

I would like to know if these 2 speakers can be compared, what should be the best choice in term of sonic apreciation, power and portability.

The rig shall be good for 600 people indoor - Rock and Dance events.

Thank you

Othmane

Re: Fr253hr vs u215

Without looking into it too much I would lean towards the Yorkville. I own some of the EAW FR253HR and although they put out some decent spl it looks like the Unity is a more modern box. If the price is even close I would suggest the Yorkvilles. That being said with some decent subs the EAW cabinets would probably cover you for 600 people indoor. Im not sure how much of an upgrade it would be with your current setup though as I am not familiar with those. Welcome to the forum. Im sure some other more knowledgeable members will chime in.

Thank you Ben,

The EF508 are similar to TX4 with less output ... single 15'' B&C drivers. They sound great and are very musical. The EAW tops are almost half price the Unity's. I see they are also twice heavier. I will check also for some srx725's if they fit on my budget. I also have a pair of SB1000 that I like alot. The Unity will be powered with either AP Series Amps or XTI4000 ( 2x).

Thank you !

What are you powering those 728s with? You should be seriously out-subbed with that small of a main PA (unless you're Evan, then you just need more mids).

Four 728 should be enough for quite a bit more than 1000 people if powered right. Over here they use 8 of them at the Oakdale powered with FP13000s for 2500 people and it even keeps Evan happy.

What are you powering those 728s with? You should be seriously out-subbed with that small of a main PA (unless you're Evan, then you just need more mids).

Four 728 should be enough for quite a bit more than 1000 people if powered right. Over here they use 8 of them at the Oakdale powered with FP13000s for 2500 people and it even keeps Evan happy.

The subs are either powered with PL4.0 in ST or Bridged when I need more power. The subs are fine I guess, the issue is the tops - they are not big in oof for this duty. SRX 725 are available also at a reasonable price. Doe's 1 bridged XTI4000 okay for 1 x Passive SRX725 ? Apparently the 725's have very good internal Xover.

Othmane