Frequency Analyzer

BJ James

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Had a great gig on the weekend with some Canadian music legends.

During setup I thought I would get some quick monitor mixes dialed up. Mons from FOH with a tablet onstage. There was a much more experienced tech present who was a great help (Thanks Keith, if you lurk here). He had an iphone with a freq. analyzer app. I forget which one, it's the complete package you can buy the mic and interface for. Anyways this app was awesome. It had a peak hold feature that made it real easy to find the freq of any squeaks. I have an ipod touch and have a freq analyzer app as well(but a free one, not that great) but the itouch does not have a built in mic like the iphone- have to use the headphone as a mic, which of course sucks.

Is there a stand alone handheld unit that does this? I'd love to get something like this.

BJ

Re: Frequency Analyzer

Had a great gig on the weekend with some Canadian music legends.

During setup I thought I would get some quick monitor mixes dialed up. Mons from FOH with a tablet onstage. There was a much more experienced tech present who was a great help (Thanks Keith, if you lurk here). He had an iphone with a freq. analyzer app. I forget which one, it's the complete package you can buy the mic and interface for. Anyways this app was awesome. It had a peak hold feature that made it real easy to find the freq of any squeaks. I have an ipod touch and have a freq analyzer app as well(but a free one, not that great) but the itouch does not have a built in mic like the iphone- have to use the headphone as a mic, which of course sucks.

Is there a stand alone handheld unit that does this? I'd love to get something like this.

BJ

I assume you are talking about the Studio Six digital app.

That was done by Andrew Smith-who developed the Audio Toolbox.

That is probably the best investment I ever made in this business.

I still have my origional plastic upgraded (contractors upgrade)unit that I am thinking about selling.

It will do what you want and a whole lot more.

The Studio Six is very handy even without the fancy box and mic, especially if one is as bad at calling feedback frequencies as I. It has also been handy at identifying frequencies that are bothersome, but don't happen sufficiently often for EQ hunt'n'peck to find them.

Ya, it was the Studio Six FFT app he had. Just the software-not the mic and pre.

And it's their free RTA that I have on my itouch.

Rather than spending $400 on the Phonic unit that doesn't do half as much stuff and only displays in 1/3 octave slices, is there a small simple mic I can use with my itouch. I'd buy the FFT app in a snap if I could do that- but I don't want to have to carry the preamp around with me.

Suggestions?

Cheers,

BJ

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the links. Good info.

I ordered the Thumbtack. We'll see how that works. I see it's one of the recommended ones from the SSD app page.

Thanks,

BJ

Wow, that was quick. There was a parcel from Fedex waiting for me at home last night. Delivery from Hong Kong. I ordered the thing Tues. 2 days!

Anyways, I bought the Studio Six Toolbox and added the FFT to the package and it works good at home. Will try at tonights gig.