Frying Bacon in a Yamaha M7

Eric Simna

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Cleveland, OH
www.a440sound.com
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone heard of M7s developing that dreaded frying bacon sound on an input? My house gig's M7 started making the noise over the weekend. Figured I'd check with all of you before going up the ladder (I did search and found nothing).

1. The occurs with nothing connected to the input.
2. I can move it around the board, so it is NOT a fader issue.
3. This happens with OR without Phantom turned on.
4. The noise is quite loud. The input is unusable.

Any ideas why this would happen? Any fixes you know of that can be done without killing a warranty? We are located in Cleveland OH, and it has been humid, but nothing has been spilled on the console.

Thanks a lot!
Eric

Last edited:
Re: Frying Bacon in a Yamaha M7

Marlow got it. Hence my using the language 'input.' Patch the input to whatever channel/fader I want. Its what these new fangled digital consoles are good at (among many other things).

Sounds like an A/D converter failure. I've never serviced an M7 so I'm really not much help here though... (nor am I in general, but that's a different subject!)

Re: Frying Bacon in a Yamaha M7

Marlow got it. Hence my using the language 'input.' Patch the input to whatever channel/fader I want. Its what these new fangled digital consoles are good at (among many other things).

There are resistors on the inputs and if they get hit with a power spike or something they get fried.
You can fix this yourself if you are good at soldering
I would check with the Yamaha service department to get more info

db