Get Smaart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Get Smaart

Lee,

I am on the learning curve along with you. I can see the sense in what Tim said. We should start taking measurements, posting them, and discussing them. I will share the grenade blasts with you.

I have been looking for a class for a year and a half, and haven't found one I can get too. I am close enough to you that we could probably get together to take some measurements. A couple of months ago, we had briefly talked about doing something local with Evan.

I am sure, his schedule permitting, if we fed him and beered him, he would be happy to work with us.

I'm always up for some teachin' and making noise.

Evan

Scovill's class was great for me when I took it a few years ago. I liked that it wasn't necessarily ''platform'' specific when it came to measurements, either. Hanging around with some of the more experienced guys when they've come to town for shows and chasing them around arenas while they optimized was also great.

Beyond that it's just been a lot of hands-on experimenting. I'm privileged in that I have a variety of rigs and acoustic spaces to work in, and learning on-the-job might have had the most impact.

Dave

Scovill's class was great for me when I took it a few years ago. I liked that it wasn't necessarily ''platform'' specific when it came to measurements, either.

What a lot of people miss in the ''measurement world'' is that it is not so much about learning the specific program, but it is more important to learn about the measurement process and what the traces are telling you.

Learning how to ''read'' that is the hardest thing for people to get their head around. What is a valid measurement and what is garbage on the screen.

Just because the screen shows it does not mean that it is ''real''. It may be valid-for the parameters and position of mic and so forth, but it may not give you any real data or indication of performance.

And that information works cross program. Yes some platforms do certain things better than others, but more or less they all do the ''same'' thing-with certain exceptions.

Lee and Jay and whomever in the DMV area,

I'm in northern VA and willing to do some driving and help cover expenses for Evan or someone to come out and do a day's worth of knowledge and experience transfer, especially while we're in the slower season.

I'd prefer the session use Smaart 7.x, although I still have version 6 installed.

Kirby

For anyone interested, Rational Acoustics will be in Phoenix Arizona on Nov 12,13,14 for a smaart training. More information is on their website, but the application day will involve an L' Acoustics Kara rig to test on with a CL1 at FOH.

Status
Not open for further replies.