Getting a little rust off of mic grille's

Jimmy Hardin

Junior
Jan 29, 2013
Ok, this past 4th of july, I did a gig and It came a storm and I got the gear covered up and the stage was a covered stage and I accidently left a mic out on the stage and some water got on it and got on the grille and now when i looked at it it has a little rust on it. I am wondering how do some of you take it off , I have heard some use coke and some use vinegar ETC. I am afraid that if i use one of the two or anything else it will take the paint off of the grille and look worse than it does now. It's my first time wanting to do this so any advice will be awesome. I don't want to leave it like that for character i just want my stuff to look as good as it can.

Pick up a new gille for $10 (assuming is't an SM58 or similar) and move on? If the grille is painted and rusting, the paint is already compromised.

There are various chemical rust reformers (naval jelly comes to mind), but if it's mild surface rust, I'd probably start with some Sotchbrite (the green stuff) and not bother with chemical means.

Update: I did call AT this morning and the sales rep. had just what i was asking for. and it was cheaper than 30 dollars. so I am happy.!!!!!!!