Getting RF through a (mostly) metal wall

Jason Lavoie

Junior
Jan 13, 2011
Ottawa
if I'm trying to get RF (72Mhz in this case) through a sheet metal wall (200'x40') that has some windows and openings:
am I better off making sure that the transmitter and antenna are well grounded to the building, or would they do better floating and unreferenced?

Jason

Re: Getting RF through a (mostly) metal wall

Henry will have to say for sure, but I'd feed coax through the wall and mount an antenna on the other side. With 72mHz, is this a hearing assistance system?

Henry will have to say for sure, but I'd feed coax through the wall and mount an antenna on the other side. With 72mHz, is this a hearing assistance system?

yes it is. the reason I'm trying to avoid going through the wall is that a: the wall is already finished and is a barrier between a cold zone and warm zone (hockey rink and viewing area) and b: the transmitter etc are on the second floor, so the other side of the wall is 20' up and in an inconvenient location to get to (behind duct work etc)

JR: I'd love to stick it right in the window, but the customer might not like that so much. it pretty much needs to be hidden in the drop ceiling near the windows, and if it doesn't perform then I'll have to do it the hard way.

Jason

I don't have an rf meter but this job is fortunately relatively local so I can spend a bit of time on this and even go back if it doesn't work out with plan a

Jason