[WTR] Gig Available: July 18 Long Valley, NJ Need small rig and Tech

Jeffrey Knorr

Honorary PhD
Jan 11, 2011
Berwick, PA 18603
jrklabs.com
I have a co-worker (Chris), who's band is playing a party with several other bands (5 total I believe) on July 18th in Long Valley, NJ. It's an outdoor party with some type of stage structure (no roof) and ~100 people. AC power is from a shed on the premises (I have no idea as to quantity or quality).

Modest PA needs:
16 channel console
2-4 monitors
All necessary mics/stands/DIs/cabling
high-powered top and sub per side
At least one tech to run everything and shuffle bands around.

This would probably be a good gig for a smaller provider with decent gear looking to gain some experience. The budget is probably at the low end of the $250-$500 range...

You can contact my co-worker directly at:
Chris Spitzli
646-957-4302
[email protected]

Thank you,

Jeff

Re: Gig Available: July 18 Long Valley, NJ Need small rig and Tech

If anyone is doing this in a safe and competent manner for $250 I am sincerely sorry for them...

+1

$250 may be reasonable pay for a tech to handle a stage for 5 bands, if the gear is all provided. An outdoor party with no roof means weather must be taken into account. If you don't have covers for your gear and it rains, it's going to get expensive.

So, lets say this guy has to put $50 worth of gas in his vehicle to get there and back. Then he has 2 meals. That's another $30 or so. Then say he has a flat trailer tire on the way home. Another $125 out.

Thats $205 in expenses, without insurance or gear payments.

Would YOU buy a small pa and rent it out for that kind of money? I'm thinking that a rig capable of doing this event would be about 15-20 grand worth of equipment.

So, lets say this guy has to put $50 worth of gas in his vehicle to get there and back. Then he has 2 meals. That's another $30 or so. Then say he has a flat trailer tire on the way home. Another $125 out.

Would YOU buy a small pa and rent it out for that kind of money? I'm thinking that a rig capable of doing this event would be about 15-20 grand worth of equipment.

To answer your question, No. That's why I'm not doing the gig. This is a gig for a small local provider or someone starting out. It's not a high profile gig needing highly experienced techs and high-end equipment. Everyone has to start somewhere and this would be a great place for someone to gain some experience and hopefully cover their costs (it's far cheaper than attending Full Sail)! I'm also expecting that someone competent would negotiate a higher rate.

Jeff

When I was 18 I loaded gear in my dodge dakota, drove slow to gigs to save gas, learned the routes around toll plazas, and didn't eat unless there was free food at the event, or waited until I got home, and prayed I didn't have any mechanical issues with the truck. Learned a lot along the way and gradually people recognized my skills and tenacity and I moved up the ladder.

If I was 18 again, living at my parent's house, and had a small PA of craigslist gear, I'd take this gig.

did they get someone?I live there and would have gladly done it :?~:-?~:???: