Glastonbury 2013

Re: Glastonbury 2013

The :stars: of Glasto are cranky farmers and impossible to please local councils.

I'd imagine Tony and the lads have a Funktion 1 system of some kind, the rest......

Since the "issues" in 2007 and Michael Eavis's illl-judged (then retracted) comments, I think the dance-oriented Glade area is the only major space to consistently use an F1 rig (going purely by what I've seen - my only association is as a punter).

I'd be surprised if the big stages deviated from the usual L'Acoustics kit. By all accounts it's usually the biggest concentration of V-Dosc, K1 etc equipment in the UK, with most of the big rental houses coming to make that happen.

Last edited:

Pyramid is, and has been for a long time, an RG Jones job, and its Martin Longbow.

Other stage is Skan, and therefore d&b

D'oh, sorry - getting manufacturers mixed up. However I'm sure I read on RG Jones's website and possibly also articles in PSN or similar, that for the Pyramid stage alone at least one other company is needed to supply the vast number of boxes required, and that this made for the highest number of that type of box concentrated in one place in the UK each year.

From a complete outsiders view, it would seem like a very good place to be using MLA, or some sort of steerable system, given the problems they have had with offsite noise over the years.

Isn't the big advantage of MLA (and now Anya too) that they better negate issues such as room reflections and positioning problems indoors in non-ideal spaces, or minimise spillage from lots of close-together stages such as at Coachella?

I'd think the big four stages at Glastonbury are the ideal platforms to achieve long enough lines of conventional line array boxes, to best achieve the directionality required by noise restrictions. And they have the advantage of enough space to utilise the most effective bass-steering techniques.

D'oh, sorry - getting manufacturers mixed up. However I'm sure I read on RG Jones's website and possibly also articles in PSN or similar, that for the Pyramid stage alone at least one other company is needed to supply the vast number of boxes required, and that this made for the highest number of that type of box concentrated in one place in the UK each year.

Yep - That would be Capital Sound supplying the Longbow boxes

Isn't the big advantage of MLA (and now Anya too) that they better negate issues such as room reflections and positioning problems indoors in non-ideal spaces, or minimise spillage from lots of close-together stages such as at Coachella?

I'd think the big four stages at Glastonbury are the ideal platforms to achieve long enough lines of conventional line array boxes, to best achieve the directionality required by noise restrictions. And they have the advantage of enough space to utilise the most effective bass-steering techniques.

Well, a couple of issues really:

One. The offsite noise issues are mainly just a fact of life. All the clever PA in the world is not going to stop the noise leaving the site. Its a big open space. The system doesn't overshoot the listening area particularly. The noise complaints have a lot more to do with where Glastonbury is, than PA design.

Two. There isn't that much MLA around.

Audio Forum did the Acoustic stage with a pile of turbo flex array. C3 productions were on Avalon stage with a small kara rig. I believe APR audio were doing jazz stage again this year with EV x-line (and had our last PM5D off us too). I'm not sure who was doing the dance areas though, maybe southwest audio?

I wasn't there this year, does anyone have any reports on how it went?