Going to buy wireless IEM system

Re: Going to buy wireless IEM system

Please define "best."

Sennheiser's EW 300 G3 (if that's what you meant) are probably among the best, but hardly what I'd call entry level.

What bandwidth in particular?? Also is there a stereo model that can be used as dual mono? I see a lot come though my shows but I never have time to discuss specifics. That's why I'm asking here.Price range would need to be $1000-1400, so not quite entry level. This will be for personal use. Thanks again..

What bandwidth in particular??

As long as you're buying a new rig, you shouldn't wind up with an illegal system (i.e. watch out for those used ones!). Which Band you select will depend on what's broadcasting in your primary area. Pick the one with the least interference/competition.

Shure's calculator can be found here (I can't find Sennheiser's equivalent at the moment):

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/tools/wireless-frequency-finder

Dave

What bandwidth in particular?? Also is there a stereo model that can be used as dual mono? I see a lot come though my shows but I never have time to discuss specifics. That's why I'm asking here.Price range would need to be $1000-1400, so not quite entry level. This will be for personal use. Thanks again..

All of the stereo units have two independent inputs/channels. If they have a mono switch, then the signal from only one input can be sent to both ears. I am guessing that most do have such a switch, but double check anyway.

I would strongly recommend Mipro MI-808T/R or 909T/R because the base unit broadcasts two channels simultaneously and the body pack automatically switches to the strongest channel to prevent dropouts. Then pair that up with something like Shure SE535 or Westone UM Pro 30 or 50 and you've got yourself one kick-ass IEM system. All well within your budget.

As far as frequencies go, in America, you can operate a small device anywhere between 470 and 698 Mhz, (except 608 - 614 is reserved for emergency use). The only problem is that your local over-the-air digital TV stations also fall within that range. While most all IEM transmitters have a variety of (TV) channels to choose from, if you happen to choose a channel that a local TV station is using, each can interfere with the other. You may get lots of static noise and dropouts. Also, if your IEM device causes interference to nearby TV viewers and generates complaints, you can be fined. Hence, wherever you take your IEM device, you need to discover what TV channels (frequencies) are in use in that area and avoid them. Some people use a website service like the link above, (which does not always give a complete list,) and some are carrying portable RF scanning devices to each show.

To confuse matters even further, cell phones may soon be encroaching into that frequency range.

The same rules apply to wireless mics.

Also, avoid buying a transmitter from other counties because they may be set to operate outside of the legal range for US customers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

(and if I'm understanding correctly, the 600 MHz band will be auctioned off soon, so best to avoid it, right?)

Gosh, I hope not. I have two wireless mics and an IEM that are each in the 600 Mhz band.

The FCC recently issued a Report & Order regarding wireless microphone and IEM applications. For some locales there will be more flexibility and in the already congested environments it will be worse.

A search of Sennheiser, Lectrosonics and Shure's websites will probably yield a link to the Report and will provide some more background info.

Here is a recent article I read. Says 600MHz will be cleared of TV and then auctioned off.

http://www.churchproduction.com/story/main/fcc-clears-the-way-for-wireless-mics

I may not be reading-between-the-lines right, but it seems to me this quote seems to sum up my concern:

As has already been ruled, after the auctions and the reassignment of channels to the new owners and services are complete, users of wireless mics operating in the 600 MHz band will have 39 months during which they can still use their equipment under certain rules and conditions. After that, they cannot be legally used in most of that band.

600mhz devices will be legal to operate for at least the next 4 years, but since we know they are going away, if you can purchase in a lower band, it would be advisable to do so.

Some things to consider with your bandwidth selection. The lower the frequency, the easier to penetrate objects. Old VHF systems could more easily broadcast through walls and such. The issue was that the band was so congested, it was easier to move up to the UHF bands to find free channels. Moving up to the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands creates even more difficulties in penetrating objects. Higher frequencies require a stronger transmitter to get the same range. This can result in shorter battery life of a transmitter. Luckily technology has evolved significantly that addresses these issues.

On the downside of lower frequencies, is antenna size. Looking at a 1/2 wave antenna, in the 2.4ghz is about 2.5 inches. A 1/2 wave VHF antenna at 174mhz would be nearly 34 inches. Pretty unpractical for a mobile application.

600mhz devices will be legal to operate for at least the next 4 years, but since we know they are going away, if you can purchase in a lower band, it would be advisable to do so.

As far as I can tell it is still unclear what will be good bands after the 600MHz auction. Yes, some of the 600MHz band will be gone, but so will some of everything below it as the broadcasters who vacate 600MHz have to find other spectrum to operate in, or give up OTA broadcasting. My understanding is that there will be some spectrum in the 600 band, in guard bands and some reserved space, what happens in the 450-600 band remains to be seen.

Mac