Government as god

Re: Government as god

These days with microSD cards and the like I can't imagine anyone NOT being able to sneak whatever pictures they want wherever they want.

Jason

A couple of years ago, a friend and I got chase down and scolded by a mall cop right here in the heartland of Amerika for taking a picture of a a starbucks sign to text to another friend who has a love affair with starbucks we were meeting later that night.

A couple of years ago, a friend and I got chase down and scolded by a mall cop right here in the heartland of Amerika for taking a picture of a a starbucks sign to text to another friend who has a love affair with starbucks we were meeting later that night.

outside of a communist regime, with open internet access and icloud, once the picture is taken it could be anywhere and everywhere, depending on your settings.. that's not even a fair fight :)

Jason

These days with microSD cards and the like I can't imagine anyone NOT being able to sneak whatever pictures they want wherever they want.

Jason

I've got friends who have been there and while I've not directly asked it sounds like you always have a "guide" as your "right hand man". It's pretty easy for them to say "no photo" and if you try any way, ...

Philip

I just saw another article about N Korea... estimated 200k peeps in their prison camps where they often die of malnutrition. No need to sneak in cameras, these camps are visible from satellite imagery.

The elephant in the room about N Korea is how China the real big dog in that neighborhood gives them license or cover to behave so badly. While it may be difficult for us to imagine, people from N Korea actually want to emigrate (escape?) into China. Compared to N. Korea, China is a much better neighborhood. But China forcibly returns N Koreans back to N Korea. The new Kim Jum ill, regime not only punishes these escapee but sends older and younger relatives along, so they won't be lonely in the prison camps.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for ourselves about some over-enthusiastic mall cop in Amerika(?), we have it damn good, compared to many parts of the world. There is always room for improvement, but that's why we have elections.

JR

I just saw another article about N Korea... estimated 200k peeps in their prison camps where they often die of malnutrition. No need to sneak in cameras, these camps are visible from satellite imagery.

The elephant in the room about N Korea is how China the real big dog in that neighborhood gives them license or cover to behave so badly. While it may be difficult for us to imagine, people from N Korea actually want to emigrate (escape?) into China. Compared to N. Korea, China is a much better neighborhood. But China forcibly returns N Koreans back to N Korea. The new Kim Jum ill, regime not only punishes these escapee but sends older and younger relatives along, so they won't be lonely in the prison camps.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for ourselves about some over-enthusiastic mall cop in Amerika(?), we have it damn good, compared to many parts of the world. There is always room for improvement, but that's why we have elections.

JR

It's too bad they don't have Oil or some other natural resource we need. We would be over there spreading our freedom around and liberating those citizens.

It's too bad they don't have Oil or some other natural resource we need. We would be over there spreading our freedom around and liberating those citizens.

If they had oil, China would already be all over it, like they are in Sudan and elsewhere around the world.

We have already spilled a great deal of American blood on the Korean peninsula to secure South Korea's liberty. it is unfortunate that China is unwilling to let another world power gain any more influence in their back yard, nor are they willing to spend any of their own effort on pure humanitarianism. Their fear of disrupting the status quo in the region, is because an open border and free transit between N Korea and China would result in a mass exodus of hungry Koreans, looking for a better life in China. China doesn't need more poor citizens even if it would be the right thing to do. It makes more sense to let South korea rehabilitate N Korea, similar to East and West Germany.
-------
I am pleasantly surprised to hear the Soviets criticize Syria over Assad's bad behavior, but they still block stronger UN intervention hoping to maintain their influence in the region.

I believe our intentions regarding N Korea are honorable, but we've allowed them to play our diplomatic efforts like a cheap fiddle. I surely haven't seen any progress from the current administration. Thankfully so far N. Korea looks like a country that can't shoot straight, but even they could get lucky one of these times.

Then the press will all act surprised, because we didn't see this coming......... :-(

JR

"Amerika " is an obscure reference to the first incomplete novel by Franz Kafka, that was published posthumously. A major theme of the novel was the "plight" of the Amerikan compared to the rest of the world and their disjointed view of events that happen to them.

"Amerika " is an obscure reference to the first incomplete novel by Franz Kafka, that was published posthumously. A major theme of the novel was the "plight" of the Amerikan compared to the rest of the world and their disjointed view of events that happen to them.

yup I repeated the misspelling to indicate that I got the literary reference. I added the (?) because I question the appropriateness of a Kalfka reference in the context of a mall rent a cop.

I rather prefer the Frenchman Alexis de Tocqueville's take (Democracy in America), he actually spent some time here traveling around the country. He even spelled America correctly. Of course folks should read them both.

JR