Has Uli been working with Stephen Hawking??

John Horvath

Freshman
Jan 11, 2011
Northwest Indiana
www.alanproaudio.com
Just wondering because there's a blackhole forming inside my X32's. I bought two of them, both of which have done about 7 to 10 shows each. Like most everyone else, I have very few complaints about the X32. At this point I'd have to say my biggest worry is their long term reliability, and after noticing how much static either the chassis or internal electronics are pulling, I'm very concerned that fader replacement will be sooner than later. Granted, the shows we've been doing aren't the cleanest but my LS9 has never collected this much dust since buying it in 2007. And even the dust that did collect on the LS9 would blow right off. Not the X32. It's stuck on there, so much so that I don't dare wipe the screen in fear of nasty scratches. Brushing the screen with some type of brush is the safest option.

Before I spray my X32's down with Static Gaurd, has anyone ever opened up & modified a piece of gear in effort to cut down on it's static pull ??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
Re: Has Uli been working with Stephen Hawking??

Can you attach a "drain wire" to the chassis to let it discharge? I ran into a similar situation at a church install and solved it by adding a chassis ground directly from the mixer to the ground on the power outlet.

Sorry for the stupid question but does it have a 3 wire line cord and and is there a safety ground connection to a metal chassis?

I have never seen static build up on a grounded metal chassis.

Major insulated non-conductive plastic parts could act a dielectric of sorts, perhaps some anti-static spray like they use on carpets could prevent charge from building up. Of course test any funny juice it on a piece of plastic that isn't cosmetic.

JR

I'm going to throw something out there that may or may not aplly in this situation.One of my customers installed a woodshop a number of years ago.At that time,Sears sold a vacumn system where you used one of their large shop vacs,hookep up to plastic tubing with Y fitting and hoses that attached to the saws,sanders etc. From the vacum pulling the air though the plastic pipe it created alot of static electricity.He asked me what he could do about it as he was getting some hellish shocks when he touched the plastic vacumn pipe and the metal of the equipment. I did a little research and I can't remember exactly what I did but I kind of remember having to wrap wire around the outside of the pipe and ground it to each piece of equipment.It discharged the static and he was good to go.If the case of the console is plastic,it could be the fan or some other piece of electronics is causing the plastic to be charged.It could be something as simple as Dick suggests.