Hazers

Steve Ferreira

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Plan on purchasing a hazer very soon. Would love a Df-50 but that's way out of my budget. I have been looking at the Ultratec Radiance. I have heard good things about them, but never used one. Any other players in the Radiance price point worth looking at?

Re: Hazers

I own 2 radiance hazers, and installed one in a club.... Good hazer , good output, dmx is a plus. HOWEVER depending on where you are able to use it, I would like to own an oil based hazer like an HZ300, or 400 or DF50 as well. I find the hang time is better on the oil hazers, but in most places they don't want you using oil based so the best economical option is the radiance. Plus buying a $5 bottle of mineral oil at the drug store would be a nice change from 65.00 hazer juice.

Have used the Radiance plenty of times, I love it! The output is great, and it barely uses any fluid. However, in general, oil based hazers last much longer (hang time in the air).
Why don't you try it out first from a rental company in your area if you seriously consider buying it as an investment??

I have a LeMaitre G150 smoke machine and that seems to be kind of much or not enough.

How does the Jem K1 hazer do? Is it a straight comparisson to the Radiance? Ultratec which makes the Radiance now is about a 4hr drive from me. Servicability becomes a plus in that regard. I really don't care if it's a water based or oil hazer.

Thanks

Steve, we went through several hazers until we gave up and bought a pair of DF-50. We have JEM 24/7 (they use so much juice) and tried the Radiance but it couldn't do the big theaters and small arenas we've been working.

If you need hang time and rapid buildup, nothing beats the DF-50. If you need haze that dissipates quickly the Radiance is very good but it might take multiple units to maintain the hang you desire.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I need a hazer that can fill mainly 400 seat halls, with the occasional 700 seater. I might also need it to fill an SL100 once and awhile. I would love to have a DF-50 but can't justify the price for a weekend warrior.

Steve, we went through several hazers until we gave up and bought a pair of DF-50. We have JEM 24/7 (they use so much juice) and tried the Radiance but it couldn't do the big theaters and small arenas we've been working.

If you need hang time and rapid buildup, nothing beats the DF-50. If you need haze that dissipates quickly the Radiance is very good but it might take multiple units to maintain the hang you desire.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim, have you had any Base Hazer Pro's roll through? I've been pretty impressed and am seeing them more and more. Talking last week (or was it two???) to the folks at Upstaging and they were favoring the Base Hazer Pro to the DF50. I haven't had the chance to do a side-by-side and unless I'm really thinking about it I never say "oh man, that haze is awesome, I wonder what they're using?".

All the ones I have seen really stand out due to their bright orange rackmount cases. Hard to miss backstage.

Posted via Tapatalk app - lower standards may apply.

Tim, have you had any Base Hazer Pro's roll through? I've been pretty impressed and am seeing them more and more. Talking last week (or was it two???) to the folks at Upstaging and they were favoring the Base Hazer Pro to the DF50. I haven't had the chance to do a side-by-side and unless I'm really thinking about it I never say "oh man, that haze is awesome, I wonder what they're using?".

All the ones I have seen really stand out due to their bright orange rackmount cases. Hard to miss backstage.

Posted via Tapatalk app - lower standards may apply.

Haven't seen one yet, but I'll keep an eye out for them as the touring season returns to the Central Plains. Thanks for the heads up.

I need a hazer that can fill mainly 400 seat halls, with the occasional 700 seater. I might also need it to fill an SL100 once and awhile. I would love to have a DF-50 but can't justify the price for a weekend warrior.

The Antari HZ300 has no problem hazing a 3000 seat gym with the HVAC running, it just needs about an hour before the show starts to get going.

If you're hazing outside (SL100) then you're going to need several DF50s full-on for the entire show.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.
2 years ago I used a DF-50 on the SL100. It worked great when the wind wasn't blowing it around. Is it better to get a water or oil based hazer? The store where I normally purchase my stuff from has a bunch of hazers for sale. He has the HZ300 and 400, the Ultratec Radiance and the Jem K1. From what I have been gathering here seems like the HZ300 is the best bang for the buck. The Radiance is compact with a big output and the K1 is just plain BIG.

I did the show on the SL100 this past weekend. I decided to uuse the Radiance and see what happens. I am very impressed with the hazer. The output is incredible for a unit its size. The Radiance was more then enough for the SL. We used the hazer basically for 4 days staright and the fluid consumption blew me away. The unit used very minimal fluid.

Thanks for the input guys, very happy with my purchase.