HELP! Behringer DCX2496 usb to serial adapter not working

Billy Jukes

Freshman
Jan 31, 2015
Hello,

I've owned a Behringer DCX2496 for a year or so now and have never been able to get it working with the behringer editor software. I do not have a dedicated serial port therefore I have to use a usb adapter. The com port is recognised in the software but when I search for the dcx it can find it. I have tried two types of usb serial adapters (usb - rs232 and usb - rs485) and both have the same problem. Any advise would be much appreciated. I have put details of the system and settings used below.

PC
OS - Windows 8.1
CPU - i5-3210M
Software - Behringer remote software 1.6a

Behringer DCX2496
Firmware version: 1.17

USB to RS-232 Adapter Properties & Settings (Product Link)
Name: USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM1)
Device Type: Ports(COM & LPT)
Manufacturer: wch.ch
Bits per second: 115200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None
COM Port Number: COM1

USB to RS-485 Adapter Properties & Settings (Product Link)
Name: USB Serial Port (COM2)
Device Type: Ports(COM & LPT)
Manufacturer: FTDI
Bits per second: 115200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None
COM Port Number: COM2
Advanced Settings: click here

RESULTS

RS-232
Hardware Setup: PC USB 2.0 or 3.0 >>> USB to RS-232 >>> DCX RS-232 serial socket
DCX Software Settings: Device ID: 1 Port: PC (RS-232)
RESULT: ERROR Could not connect to DCX2496 Check connection when searching for DCX2496's (for picture of error message click here)

RS-485 Port: PC -> LINK

Hardware Setup: PC USB 2.0 or 3.0 >>> USB to RS-485 >>> DCX RS-485 LINK A > TERM On
DCX Software Settings: Device ID: 1 Port: PC -> LINK TERM switch: On
RESULT: ERROR Could not connect to DCX2496 Check connection when searching for DCX2496's(for picture of error message click here)

RS-485 Port: LINK(RS485)

Hardware Setup: PC USB 2.0 or 3.0 >>> USB to RS-485 >>> DCX RS-485 LINK A > TERM On
DCX Software Settings: Device ID: 1 Port: LINK(RS485) TERM switch: On
RESULT: ERROR Could not connect to DCX2496 Check connection when searching for DCX2496's(for picture of error message click here)

Windows XP (SP 2) Compatibity Mode (tried for each variation above)
PC Settings: Compatibility Mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) Settings: Run this program as an administrator
RESULTS: ERROR Could not connect to DCX2496 Check connection when searching for DCX2496's(for picture of error message click here)

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong? The only thing I can think of is that the DCX is broken unless both the serial adapters are broken however the rs485 adapter work with my DIY DMX512 controller. Any suggestions are welcome. The reason I need this function is so I can eq from the listening position.

Re: HELP! Behringer DCX2496 usb to serial adapter not working

Billy,

Usually its the Com port selection that causes problems. Usb-serial adapters map to different com ports, so in the Behringer app, select Com1 and test. If it doesn't work, go to Com2 and so forth. I've even seen that the usb port on the laptop makes a difference to the adapter Com port mapping.

Ciao
Simon

Re: HELP! Behringer DCX2496 usb to serial adapter not working

To build on what Simon has stated, once you get the device working with a certain USB port try and use the same one every time. I went through this with a Windows 7 machine. I marked the port with a sharpie.
Here is a link with a lot of great info on this. Read the posts below the main article for some real useful info.

http://plugable.com/2011/07/04/how-to-change-the-com-port-for-a-usb-serial-adapter-on-windows-7