Help me choose a UPS for my consoles...

I am putting together a console package for touring. It will consist of two X32's (mons and FOH) plus an S16 and an X32 rack (backup desk) as the "snake head". Plus 6 IEM transmitters, a wireless receiver, and a few incidentals. What I would like to do is to have all of these items on the same UPS (even FOH) so I can both protect the gear from dodgy power, and minimize any pops or crackles while using the digital snake. Remaining powered up during a failure is not as important although I would like it to last maybe 5 minutes so the consoles don't have to reboot in case of a short power interruption.

So, the question is, what UPS's out there are rack mountable, offer good protection against under/over voltage, can handle 1000-1500 watts and hopefully don't cost a arm and a leg?

Thanks!

Re: Help me choose a UPS for my consoles...

Consensus seems to be that the X32 needs a UPS with a fail-over time of < 20ms. Obviously Behringer couldn't afford bigger capacitors.

The Eaton range of UPSs have been recommended several times in this thread, and I have an 3S myself, which has worked perfectly so far. Obviously you'd need something bigger, though.

I am putting together a console package for touring. It will consist of two X32's (mons and FOH) plus an S16 and an X32 rack (backup desk) as the "snake head". Plus 6 IEM transmitters, a wireless receiver, and a few incidentals. What I would like to do is to have all of these items on the same UPS (even FOH) so I can both protect the gear from dodgy power, and minimize any pops or crackles while using the digital snake. Remaining powered up during a failure is not as important although I would like it to last maybe 5 minutes so the consoles don't have to reboot in case of a short power interruption.

So, the question is, what UPS's out there are rack mountable, offer good protection against under/over voltage, can handle 1000-1500 watts and hopefully don't cost a arm and a leg?

Thanks!

IS Rack mount a requirement? If not This is what we are using.

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS 1000VA 600W PFC compatible Pure sine wave - 1000VA/600WMini-tower 3Minute Full Load - 10 x NEMA 5-15R - Battery/Surge-protected

Big price difference between the rack mount and the regular tower unit.

If you have to go rack mount, recommend Smart App Series - PR1000LCDRT2U

Cyberpower is cheaper than anyone else and they are solid quality. I've used them for years.

*Make sure you get Pure Sine wave.

Consensus seems to be that the X32 needs a UPS with a fail-over time of < 20ms. Obviously Behringer couldn't afford bigger capacitors.

The Eaton range of UPSs have been recommended several times in this thread, and I have an 3S myself, which has worked perfectly so far. Obviously you'd need something bigger, though.

Don't know anything about that but we use APC Smart-UPS from Refurb UPS.com. Fairly inexpensive and have been very reliable on our SC48/PRO/M7/LS9 consoles. I own probably six or eight of them and would be surprised if they didn't work for X32.

I remember the price for the 1500 version at about $300 a while back. Heavy suckers, though.

Jason

If you'll be running on generators an inline ups is a must. The offline ups'es will usually call the generator power bad and engage backup mode thus draining the battery. When this happens the ups won't supply any power anylonger.

The inline ups isn't affected by the dirty power coming of from some generators...

I have been very happy with APS. I use a 2U rack mounted 2200va unit. The batteries are a slide out tray, super simple to replace with many third party suppliers. This unit has been in 24/7 operation for 6+ years without an issue.

You should make a list of the power requirements of all units it will supply, add them and allow maybe 20% more to determine the rating you will need. Each piece of gear should have this number listed on the rear panel right next to the power connector. I believe I spent about $800 on this solution and it has saved me hundreds of times. I would not go without on any computer-based gear.

Sent from my iPad

If you'll be running on generators an inline ups is a must. The offline ups'es will usually call the generator power bad and engage backup mode thus draining the battery. When this happens the ups won't supply any power anylonger.

The inline ups isn't affected by the dirty power coming of from some generators...

Maybe I am lucky then

If the generator is a Home Depot special yes the output can be substandard. If you are working in a pro situation such as a live event, generator power is often cleaner, steadier and more reliable than shore power.

Sent from my iPad

Maybe I am lucky then
Or you are using higher quality generators...

For smaller festival events the quality of generators (~6kW) is somewhat a gamble. The biggest issue nowdays is that most lights are led's instead of the power hungry par cans. To get a good and clean power from many generators you should connect some 1kW resistive load to it.