Help with Novice Recording Project

Brian VandeWalle

Mar 11, 2018
Austin Texas
I am trying to record my elementary choir. I have access to mics ranging from large diaphragm condensers, pencil style condensers, regular SM58s, and two usb condensers. I gear available is a Peavey USB8, or I have access to an Akai 4 channel interface. I have played with a few options and have yet to find a solution that works well for recording the kids. What I hear coming from them is not what I am getting in the recording.Just hoping for some suggestions, ideas, solutions. I am experienced in BEING recorded and being on the other end of the mic....not so much with doing the recording or setting things up myself.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

What I hear coming from them is not what I am getting in the recording.
Pretty hard to reproduce what you hear exactly without using binaural microphones in your own ears and headphones for playback.

For an "accurate" recording, try your various pairs positioned near your conducting position (just above your head works well) with the mic diaphragms directly above each other, angled outward to point near the outer portion of the choir. Cardioid mics (SM58) will tend to "hear" less of the room and more of the choir, which may sound better or worse depending on the room.

Some prefer the sound of the microphones pointing out with a distance approximately equal to a head width, which introduces comb filtering similar to our ear spacing. Perhaps more "natural" sounding on headphones..

You can set up multiple pairs and audition them through headphones to make an initial choice.

Thanks, should I use the Akai interface or the peavey? Will it make a difference in the end or would it be simplier with one over the other? I never thought to use the SM58s. I have them. But had not really tried them for this application.

The quality of the analog to digital converters may make an audible difference, but have no experience with either interface, and no way to tell which would be easier for you to use.

You could "Y" cord the microphones and do an A/B test to decide which recording is preferable.

Just use the LDCs in an AB pair obeying the 3:1 rule and you should be able to get a big, good sounding recording, even if at the end of the day it's not perfectly matched to reality, it'll sound good.

I used to try and make things sound just like the real thing. Now I focus more on getting things to sound good. It's a lot easier.

Reactions: Scott Harris