Here's four words you'd never thought you'd see together...

Re: Here's four words you'd never thought you'd see together...

Confusion is natures way of telling you to focus...

JR

hint: look for a group of exactly four words, read them, then think about it.

UUs are my kind of people!

The most memorable of last year's Prairie Home Companion UU jokes was - "The UU sermon: Where somebody speaks, nobody listens, and everybody disagrees, afterward."

UUs are my kind of people!

The most memorable of last year's Prairie Home Companion UU jokes was - "The UU sermon: Where somebody speaks, nobody listens, and everybody disagrees, afterward."

As opposed to a Friends Meeting where nearly no one speaks, everyone listens and "understands" but probably disagrees anyway ;-)

How many Unitarian Universalists does it take to change a light bulb?
We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the light bulb. However, if you have found in your own journey that light bulbs work for you, that is fine. You are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your personal relationship with your light bulb and present it next month at our annual light bulb Sunday service in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, three- way, long-life, and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

How many Unitarian Universalists does it take to change a light bulb?
We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the light bulb. However, if you have found in your own journey that light bulbs work for you, that is fine. You are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your personal relationship with your light bulb and present it next month at our annual light bulb Sunday service in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, three- way, long-life, and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

Friends believe the light is within all of us :)

LOL, Jack. One thing that I liked about UU, and this group in particular is that there is no central control or diocese. There is a national organization but that's more for support than any sort of general message. Each congregation varies quite a bit. As for us, we're pretty much ardent Humanists and secular atheists though there are a few Christians. Many of the members have no problem voicing an opinion. Especially us Humanists and the atheists, ;) though everyone is welcome. We don't actively prosthelytize. Some UU congregations in other parts of the world are more Judeo-Christian based, the bulk of our congregation does not believe in a super natural being. Our core tenets are love, peace, equality, tolerance, social justice, and respect for science and art. You don't have to worry about us showing up on your door step at 9 on Sat morn with a Bible or biking over to your house to let you know who we are. ;). If you are in need, we'll help regardless. One of the reasons I stopped going to AA was the constant beating of the religious message. Going to UULV is much more sane for me than any of the AA meetings I've attended. But, everyone's different.

We do mostly social outreach through music and a great deal of support for the LGBT community. Lots of music involved, as much as in a Southern Baptist church. Sometimes classics like Bach or Beethoven, other times U2 or the White Stripes. Depends on the subject of the service. Many in the congregation are amateur musos or have bands. Several of them are on the A/V committee. They are in a transition right now and coincidentally need a chair of that committee. Like I tell Rev Ian, I'm here to help and do whatever they think needs to be done. Rev is new to us and likes a lav mic and typically the lav scares the hell out of the rest of the volunteers. We're going to have a how to use a lav class in the next week or so. ;)

Regarding proselytizing, one of my favorite cartoons of the last few years is a non-descript missionary on the front porch, and the guy at the door saying: "I am so glad you are here because I am between belief systems."
And one more UU joke. It's on the Simpsons. Bart has to stay at the Flanderses, and he is playing a video game with Rod, in which when you "hit" a person it converts them to a Christian. Bart: "I got one!" Rod: "you just winged him and turned him into a Universalist."

Sounds like things are going good for you there.
The UU organizations here also feature a lot of music. Both at services, and cater to music in the off hours.
Concerts and coffee house style programs.

Regards, Jack

Oh, and the lightbulb joke I am pretty sure I read that on the old LAB. And I have never found a wording for that in my searches that was as good as the original.
So thank you for that.

One of the reasons I stopped going to AA was the constant beating of the religious message. Going to UULV is much more sane for me than any of the AA meetings I've attended. But, everyone's different.

AA didn't actually work for me until I started attending an meeting at a UU in california -also heavily LGBT attended -really accepting and non-judgemental (kind of like I think AA was meant to be). Really miss that group and that church after moving to the midwest. The church was in a small enough space that it didn't even have a sound system, -kind of a refreshing escape for me at that time.