he's going to do it

Steve Tarak

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Indy
The drummer for the band I mix is making the jump to sing backing vocals. He is on a wedge. My go to is a CM311. It's tight, focused, stays put and sounds great. I'm open to new suggestions from anyone however. Perhaps I've already answered my own question.

thanks all,

Steve

Re: he's going to do it

If it's already a proven standard for the application, why second guess?

The only thing I can think of is that if he's not singing all the time, and no leads, a stand-mounted mic might be fine. You might just have to work the fader to keep bleed out when he's not singing.

He's buying the headset, right? If I'm providing, it would be stand mounted.
I like head sets on drummers, but they last longer when the headset wearer has an ownership stake in the mic.

hey Steve! I concur, buy your own mic. Was just interested in other suggestions re a headset mic - (didn't clarify). Likely the Crown is the end all. But you know me. Love to experiment w/ new stuff. I love the 935 for my vocal work, have a love/hate relationship w/ the OM7, and still like my EV's. Bought the MM hyper - works great but sucks for my application. I know the answer here, but out of the loop on other quality headset possibilities. The 58 was also a go to, but times have changed. Kevin, a guitarist I work with, has a Senny 855 that suprises me everytime. I may add a few of those also. I have yet to put up that Heil that Tim brought over. Heavy little shit it is, but he seems to tout its value on kick.

Just mixed monitors for Rare Earth and their drummer "JR" was on a CM-311. He sang lead on a lot of the songs and the CM-311 worked well both for me doing monitors and for my FOH guy. Sounded pretty good in my Q wedge. A little midrange heavy but nothing you couldn't EQ out.