How am I supposed to know what it's supposed to sound like?

Re: How am I supposed to know what it's supposed to sound like?

I think we have all understood your message by now. I was participating in taking the discussion further, to, you know, actually be interesting. If you can't follow that you might be more comfortable reading stuff that's printed on paper.

I think there's a herring in the Norsk-to-Scandahoovian translation device.

Re: How am I supposed to know what it's supposed to sound like?

Spoken by a "sound engineer" about a quartet of fiddle, guitar, bass and drums today at a small Swedish festival in Minneapolis.

Music?????

Hopefully, music in = music out. After reading the replies so far, I'm taken by how far this has been extrapolated to cover highly produced studio acts, etc.

For anything that makes sounds when manipulated by a performer, I presume those sounds are presented largely as the performer wants them to be heard. Making significant changes is done only after consulting with the player.

In general, though, the answer to the question is "You need ears. Not the golden ears BS, but you need to LISTEN to much, much more than you've apparently paid attention to in your miserable life thus far. You need to listen to MUSIC as well as SOUNDS and do it until those concepts integrate."

As Andy Peters has said many times, the most important tool for a soundperson is a big & varied record collection.

Have fun, etc.

Tim Mc