How big a rig for this room?

Simon Eves

Sophomore
May 12, 2013
Dear JV,

I do a lot of work in a small community theater which is the middle unit of a strip mall. The room is basically one big open space, approximately 69' wide and 48' deep, of which about 16' of depth is the stage (raised 18"). There is a partition wall to form the main lobby on one side (10' off the width), and a curtained-off tech/changing area (another 8' off the width) on the other side, so the audience area is around 50' by 32'.

There are 99 cinema-style seats in five rows all on the floor (no risers). The roof is gabled, about 12' at the sides, and 20' down the center line of the stage/seats, and is paneled wood. There is a small mezzanine level at the back, around 10' above ground level, which goes back about another 10' (in addition to the 48'). There are plywood walls to form the wings, although these are also only 10' high (not to the roof). The rear wall (below the mezzanine) has a raised booth (not enclosed) and a double-door to the restroom lobby but is otherwise flat. The first row of seats is only about 3' back from the stage edge (at least, in the middle).

The current PA is a pair of FBT Maxx2a 300W plastic 10"+horn self-powered boxes, which actually have a really nice sound, and have been fine for sound effects and even multiple wireless vocal and light band reinforcement for some recent musicals. I took some time to position them properly a couple of years ago (thank you, Nathan Lively and Bob McCarthy... speakers are wall-mounted 9' up, tilted down, and aimed at the middle of the middle of each side) and the system is generally well-behaved, even though the room often seems quite live and reflective, especially when the seats are empty.

We have never used mics for plays, but usually do for musicals, due to a remaining proportion of non-pro actors with limited projection abilities, and "analog" bands with a minimum volume, and because of how the room seems to swallow sound (although I'm not sure how that gels with it also seeming live and reflective... I guess it's a complex impulse-response thing that's messing with the intelligibility).

We have a couple of shows coming up, however, which need to be louder and rely more on the PA for band sound, most notably HEATHERS: THE MUSICAL (e-drums, electric guitar, electric bass, keyboards, one each trumpet, clarinet, and violin, all in one of the wings, all DI'd or close-mic'd and on headphones).

The FBTs don't have the bass, and probably not the headroom, for that plus 20 belting actors on wireless, so I am pondering a better system, either to buy as an investment upgrade, or to rent, or perhaps a mixture (buy new mains, rent matching sub or subs just for the shows).

My question is basically how big a rig should I be aiming for in that room? We're not looking to blow out the windows or fry any eardrums, but we would like it to be "Broadway loud", and I agree with the idea that a bigger system that's not stressed is better than a small one that is.

Would something like 12s over 18s be too much? I'm thinking QSC K, Yamaha DSR, Turbosound iQ, JBL PRX sort of level.

As the room is quite wide, I'm worried about a bass hole in the middle. Maybe one sub would be enough, but then where to put it that wouldn't cause time-alignment problems. Also, worried that subs at the side might overpower those sat in the front side seats (maybe 7-8' from where the subs would be).

Obviously I would be tuning the room as best I could once installed (I have access to a SMAART system).

With more sound coming out from the stage, I am worried about slap-back from the back wall. I have asked the production team to look into getting some thick curtains or blankets to try to dampen out the back wall, although I suspect anything less than proper tech for that might not really do much other than at HF.

Or, maybe I'm underestimating the FBTs, and with even more careful positioning and tuning, maybe *just* adding a (rented) sub or subs will be enough?

Thoughts, please. Thanks in advance.

Simon Eves
Novato Theater Company
Novato, California, USA

Getting the absorption materials (at least if they are curtains) a foot or so off the back wall will increase their effectiveness quite a bit. As far as the rig goes, I'd start by adding a sub and an appropriate crossover. Many of the smaller self-powered boxes have no problem keeping up with the 12" 2-way boxes so long as you don't need any significant LF response.

Getting the absorption materials (at least if they are curtains) a foot or so off the back wall will increase their effectiveness quite a bit.

Makes sense. Thanks.

As far as the rig goes, I'd start by adding a sub and an appropriate crossover. Many of the smaller self-powered boxes have no problem keeping up with the 12" 2-way boxes so long as you don't need any significant LF response.

Maybe they will. I'm going to ask a couple of the cast of our currently-running show to come a bit early one day this weekend and we'll do some volume tests. I don't have access to a sub without at least renting one, though, and I won't have time to EQ and align it properly, so I don't know how representative it would be.

Sill interested in thoughts on one sub or two, and how big is too big if we *did* swap out the whole system.

Attached is a pic of what the set might look like. Could maybe hide one under there, although I'd be worried about proximity to the omni lavaliers, and our stage is smaller.

h.png

Getting a sub would help get you the impact from the band. But I'd avoid just crossing it over from your main L/R out. Feed it with an AUX, and only put your bass-impact instruments into it, not voices. In fact, if you can also high-pass your voices at 100 or more and still have them sound good, you'll have bought yourself a lot of gain before feedback because the sub won't bleed in. I tend to try to push the high-pass as high as I can -- sometimes as much as 160.

if it were me, i'd possibly replace your FBTs with something that handles more power smoothly... but placed exactly where your current FBTs are. That's good placement, and it sounds like you've already worked out a bunch. You don't need anything more than something like a pair of QSC K or KW (12 or 15? ... I might even attempt that space with K10s). The size of the space is pretty small. Then add a sub on AUX, and high-pass the vocals. I'd not worry about sub alignment. The space isn't big enough for it to be a problem, and you're getting way more timing issues from your walls and floor than you are from small misalignment. I mean -- nothing wrong with it, but its not your biggest culprit in that room. Just one sub on one side.

Also agree with the sound absorption materials... if its feeling echo-like, you've probably got something that's hurting you in there. Maybe the floor?

I would offer that getting into louder musical territory could warrant LCR as a valid system configuration here. Ignoring physics and just talking sound design for a moment, I've found that having a center cluster for vocals and L/R for your orchestra very much helps in terms of intelligibility and clarity, and more so in smaller spaces than I expected when I first tried it. I've done a gig the past two months of August at First Stage in Tysons Corner, VA where this worked pretty well.

As far as the exact choice to use for these, your current mains could be used for the vocal cluster if they play well next to each other at all. I would go with 12" tops and maybe an 18" or two for subs if you're really excited. You really don't need more displacement than that. I assume that the audience has no rake to it - that would change things slightly IMO, but not much.

I would love to fly something centrally, but I don't think that's an option. It would need hardware and a structural survey that we can't afford. I should probably have said that if I do buy new gear for this, I will want it to be portable and usable in other venues, not a permanent install in this one, although it is where I shall be doing at least two more loud shows this year.

For a show about three years ago, we rented a pair of K12s, but other than a bit more headroom and bass, I didn't think they were a huge improvement over the FBTs, although I also didn't really tune them properly.

I think I'm going to try to borrow or rent a single sub for a weekend and see how far I can push the FBTs. That would be the cheapest solution for this show.

If we do buy or rent something entirely different, though, it sounds like 12" tops with one or two 18" subs would be about right, which is good, because that was already my assumption... (and Max, you are correct, no rake on the audience... all seats on the floor... we want to put in risers eventually, but we can't afford those right now either).

I would love to fly something centrally, but I don't think that's an option. It would need hardware and a structural survey that we can't afford. I should probably have said that if I do buy new gear for this, I will want it to be portable and usable in other venues, not a permanent install in this one, although it is where I shall be doing at least two more loud shows this year.

For a show about three years ago, we rented a pair of K12s, but other than a bit more headroom and bass, I didn't think they were a huge improvement over the FBTs, although I also didn't really tune them properly.

I think I'm going to try to borrow or rent a single sub for a weekend and see how far I can push the FBTs. That would be the cheapest solution for this show.

If we do buy or rent something entirely different, though, it sounds like 12" tops with one or two 18" subs would be about right, which is good, because that was already my assumption... (and Max, you are correct, no rake on the audience... all seats on the floor... we want to put in risers eventually, but we can't afford those right now either).

Oh right, you would have to do that the right way in a space like that. I'm used to structural stuff and flyware already being sorted out - sorry!

Has anyone on here (that actually knows what they're talking about, unlike perhaps some Amazon reviews) used this sort of wall-mount for a ~45lb cab. I'd need it about 10' up with a 15-degree tilt.

http://a.co/6LwWLdU
http://a.co/gMC2zDR

They look a bit cheap to me, although I haven't found any more substantial similar ones. Perhaps that tells me that I should really be looking into a higher cantilever frame and hanging the cab from three cables?

Most of the cabs on my short-list have a second 7.5-degree-tile pole mount hole, which would make it only another 7.5 degrees off the center-of-gravity, although at least one of those mounts expects the cab to have a flat bottom, and I'm worried that 15 degrees is too much for a pole mount.

Obviously I would put in a separate safety cable, which could take some of the lateral strain.

As I said before, these would be my cabs, and not a permanent install, and I would want the same mounts to be usable for the existing smaller house speakers (although those don't have a tilted hole), which obviously doesn't play well with the cantilever frame idea.