How do I know what is "- +" on the Speaker cables? (SOLVED)

Stephen Way

Mar 2, 2021
UK (United Kingdom)
Hello, I need some help, please...
last year I was up to doing some decorating in my living room, I took my wall mounted Goodman's Magnum Speakers down and thought I would take this opportunity while doing the deco to chisel a grove in the plaster and hide the speaker cables inside the wall so, that is what I did.
I finished up all the deco, filled up the grove where the speaker cable had been recessed, and painted the walls

The only thing I had not done just yet was refitted the speaker wall brackets and mounted the speakers as I used my headphones for music. So, long story short and six months later just last weekend I refitted the speaker brackets and mounted my speakers and here is where I need some help, I forgot to markup my speaker Cables "- +" and I have been tearing my hair out all week thinking...Apart from ripping all the cable out the walls how would you tell "- +"?

I have just guessed what is "- +" to be able to hear any difference, even had some friends around to see if anyone can hear any difference but no one can, I got told, "Just guess, there is no difference anyway" But It's bugging me, there must be a right and wrong way to wire up speakers or why have the "- +"?
So, Apart from ripping all the cable out the walls...How do I know what is "- +"?? ...Any help would be much appreciated

I think this should be in the Junior Varsity thread.

All you need is a basic multi-meter (if you don't have one, buy one - you'll need it for way more than you think) with continuity test. String a spare piece of any type of scrap wire from one end back to the head end, and test for continuity.

Here's a random one on Amazon that's really low priced.

Reactions: Stephen Way
Thank you, Caleb Dueck, for that. It just shows my ignorance of basic electronics :unsure: I guess I will have to buy some scrap wire
as the longest length, I would need is 16 feet (but that's gotta be cheaper than ripping the cables from the walls)
I bought the basic multi-meter from your link and I need to learn how to use it :whistle:
Thanks again for your help XD

f the speakers are wired incorrectly, the sound will appear 'outside' the speakers to the left and right, and bass will be reduced. Correctly wired the sound will appear to come from between the speakers and bass will be higher. You only need to swap the wiring on one speaker; the absolute polarity (ie. amplifier + to speaker +) is not important, just that they are both the same. It does not matter if the amplifier 'minus' is wired to speaker 'plus'.