How many watts is my sub getting

Re: How many watts is my sub getting

Ryan Lantzy said:
What your missing (in regards to "power amplification") is that the impedance of a speaker is not constant WRT frequency. As the frequency of a signal changes, so does the resistance of the loudspeaker. This frequency-resistance relationship is called impedance.

FTFY.

Chuck Simon said:
No, I am not missing that, I just didn't include that obvious bit of info when I was trying(rather unsuccessfully) to make my basic point.

Amplifiers DO produce power and watts, no matter how much one trys to complicate the issue. Every amp manufacturer in the world rates their amps by the amount power, or watts they produce. How can anyone state that an amplifier produces voltage but not power? Of course how that power is used to perform work is another long, complicated story.

Physics 101 - watts are NOT a measurement of work being done, they are a measurement of electrical power(I X E).

A speaker isn't a machine, it's a motor? How many angles can you fit on the head of a pin?

Unsucessfully indeed. In your post you said you were not an engineer and welcomed corrections. I made the necessary corrections to your post.

Oh, and no one claimed that Watts measure work.

Last edited:
Re: How many watts is my sub getting

Every amp manufacturer in the world rates their amps by the amount power, or watts they produce. How can anyone state that an amplifier produces voltage but not power?

Manufacturers DO NOT rate their amp by how much power they produce. They rate them by HOW MUCH they CAN produce-INTO A GIVEN LOAD IMPEDANCE.

If you do not have a load attached-they are not producing ANY "power" only a voltage. Very different things.

The power is the RESULT of that voltage across a particular load-(whch varies with freq-making it even harder for some people to get their heads wrapped around.