How similar-behaving are the QSC K12 and older HPR122i?

Simon Eves

Sophomore
May 12, 2013
A theatre I work in regularly has three flown QSC HPR122i's, which they bought from another frequent occupant who got fed up putting them up and down for their own shows, after the previous (crappy) house system died.

The problem is that there is a gap in the coverage, as the seating area is L-shaped, with two speakers on the long side and one on the short side, but nothing covering the "elbow" of the L, which is also unfortunately where the mix position is, so I think they really need a fourth speaker.

Should they go to the trouble and risk of trying to find another used HPR122i, or just get a K12 which are easier to find (both used and, of course, new), but perhaps may not quite match tonally.

Or perhaps a K10 or K8, as arguably the gap doesn't need another 12, although I am aware that the coverage angles vary (K12=75x75, K10=90x90, K8=105x105).

Opinions, please!

Re: How similar-behaving are the QSC K12 and older HPR122i?

Go for a used HPR ; while both products sound good, when listened to side by side the HPRs absolutely kill the Ks (and your back, but since you're not planning on moving them around...)

Go for a used HPR ; while both products sound good, when listened to side by side the HPRs absolutely kill the Ks (and your back, but since you're not planning on moving them around...)

I have never heard the HPR's myself, but this is the general consensus of most I have heard about who have. The HPR's were a heavier speaker, so not as portable as the K or even KW's, but most say they sound really nice.

I have used both the K12 and HPR122i and I can agree 100% with the response quoted above. The KWs come closer in sound and quality, but the HPRs are still a step above anything in the K series, IMnHO.

OK, then.

Anyone got a single HPR122i for sale, preferably within sensible distance of the Bay Area? :)

Those of us with HPRs are reluctant to part with them, and for good reason. Keep an eye out on the 'Bay as they pop up there once in a while. If you get in a jam, it won't be the end of the world to go K series, but I would select the KW122 over the K12 for your use.

Just my $0.02.

I've been searching a long time for a single HPR122i to mate with the one I have. I've considered selling it and buying either a pair of KW122 or Yamaha DSR112 to mate with my KW181 subs. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do.

Those of us with HPRs are reluctant to part with them, and for good reason. Keep an eye out on the 'Bay as they pop up there once in a while. If you get in a jam, it won't be the end of the world to go K series, but I would select the KW122 over the K12 for your use.

Just my $0.02.

+1
The k12 is more versatile with its input panel, but the HPR sound substantially better.

My HPR122's are one of the few things that I bought new that have held their value. I bought them for a good price, plus each had the $100 rebate they ran for a long time. I regularly see beat up used ones sell for more than I paid for my shiny new ones.

I won't be getting rid of the 6 I have anytime soon though, so I guess it'll be a while before I recoup my investment.