How to bridge a macrotech 9000i amp

Fernando Lopez

Freshman
Jan 14, 2011
Venezuela
www.runaway69.com
Hi, some help here please!!!!

I recently upgraded to a crown macro tech 9000i amp to power my 2 (4 Ohms) Danley TH-118s

My previous amp experience was with the EV CP4000s which I figured out. But I am having a hard time with my new amp.

I have 2 questions

1) Should I power one sub from each channel or should I bridge the sub to power the subs?

2) If bridge is the answer how do I do it?

Anyway this is the back panel:

MAi_dualPort.jpg

and here are the amps specs:

Power Output

Guaranteed minimum power in watts at 20 Hz-20 kHz with 0.35% THD

4-ohm Dual (per ch.).................................3,500W

8-ohm Dual (per ch.).................................1,500W

4-ohm Bridge.............................................5,600W

8-ohm Bridge.............................................7,000W

2-ohm Dual (per ch.) / 20 mS BURST.......4,700W

2-ohm Dual (per ch.) / 20 Hz - 20 kHz......2,800W

2-ohm Dual (per ch.) / 1 kHz.....................2,800W

Here are the subs specs:

Operating Frequency Range ........................ 40 Hz -250 Hz - 3 dB

.................................................................... 28 Hz 300 Hz -10dB

Sensitivity @ 1M ............................................................ 108 dBSPL

.............................................................. 112 dBSPL @ 100 Hz max

........ (Referenced to 2.83V @1M ½ space, measured as 28.3V @ 10M)

Maximum Output ................................. 137 dBSPL/143 dBSPL Peak

............................................. 143 dBSPL/149 dBSPL Peak @ 134 Hz

Input Power Ratings ................. 1800 W continuous, 3600 W program

Nominal Impedance .................................................................. 4 ohms

Minimum Impedance ................................................. 3 ohms @ 67 Hz

Recommended Processing ................ 25 Hz HP @ 24 dB/Butterworth

Drivers ......................................................... LF 1 x 18'' Long excursion

Input Connections ................................................................. 2-NL4MP

Enclosure Material ............ 13ply, 18mm Baltic Birch, polyurea coate

Thanks for your replies!!!!!

Re: How to bridge a macrotech 9000i amp

Absolutely run stereo, 1 sub per channel. Do NOT bridge.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting your amp set up in System Architect so you can take advantage of the input routing and extensive limiter functionality. Bridging is also available in the software, not sure about the front panel, but again, bridging is NOT the correct option in your situation.

There is absolutely no reason to bridge that amp IMO. In Stereo at 4ohms the amp is spec'd for 3500W. In bridge mode it will produce 5600W... That's only 2dB more output. Additionaly if you bridged it you would need two amps because you can't really run the amp at 2ohm bridged.

There is absolutely no reason to bridge that amp IMO. In Stereo at 4ohms the amp is spec'd for 3500W. In bridge mode it will produce 5600W... That's only 2dB more output. Additionaly if you bridged it you would need two amps because you can't really run the amp at 2ohm bridged.

In fact, optimal use are 4 ohms stereo and 8 ohms bridged.

Re: How to bridge a macrotech 9000i amp-Depends on cabinets

WHen you say ''2 (4 ohm) TH118's exaclty what do you mean?

Do you have the standard 4 ohm cabinets or are the cabinets 8 ohm each? And the total load is 4 ohms.

If you have the 4 ohm cabinets-then stereo with 1 cabinet per side would be the best way.

If you have the 8 ohm cabinets-then bridging would be the best way.

With a large amp like that-be sure to set your limiters well. We are talking about some decent output here.