How would you go about finding short term work in other countries?

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I’m itching to do a working holiday where the work is production related (I want to see how you all do it in other parts of the world, especially music festivals!!!)

Now that we’re starting to inch out of covid (and I have 15 years of experience under my belt instead of being green) I think it might be time to try and realise this dream. I’m thinking getting work at the Edinburgh Fringe could be an achievable goal and I’m wondering where else and what else might be out there that’s similar to that (In that it’s a straight run of work that only happens for a fixed period of time).

I’m partial to and best at mixing live music but totally happy working in theatre or corporate too. Also totally happy to be off the console and working behind the scenes in some capacity. (The touring tech can’t be picky about the work)

Thinking maybe trying to pick up a season of something on the west end could be an option. By some stroke of luck I found and was allowed to join the Audio Cartel Facebook page and i see sometimes jobs for A2s advertised for a season of a production. Another thing I think I might be able to apply for. Are there more Facebook groups like that but in different geographical locations I could potentially join? And or big, reoccurring events that advertise their tech positions that I can seek out?

(All assuming covid is retreating and the world doesn’t devolve into WW3 of course. It could also be the age of global travel is well and truly over but in case it isn’t, even if I can’t do it straight away now feels like the time to plan how it could be done).

And if any of you want a working holiday in sleepy little Adelaide, South Australia, contact The Adelaide Fringe, The Garden of Unearthly Delights or Gluttony with your resume, the majority of their crew are ring ins from interstate and over seas.

A2 is a great into role to theatre and music theatre of all kinds, if you don't mind getting in close and dirty with the turns, and running around a lot. Some A2 roles include A1 cover, which can be good. I'm not too sure about the audio cartel - membership isn't really exclusive, just usually relies on you knowing somebody who is in.

I’m itching to do a working holiday where the work is production related (I want to see how you all do it in other parts of the world, especially music festivals!!!)

Now that we’re starting to inch out of covid (and I have 15 years of experience under my belt instead of being green) I think it might be time to try and realise this dream. I’m thinking getting work at the Edinburgh Fringe could be an achievable goal and I’m wondering where else and what else might be out there that’s similar to that (In that it’s a straight run of work that only happens for a fixed period of time).

I’m partial to and best at mixing live music but totally happy working in theatre or corporate too. Also totally happy to be off the console and working behind the scenes in some capacity. (The touring tech can’t be picky about the work)

Thinking maybe trying to pick up a season of something on the west end could be an option. By some stroke of luck I found and was allowed to join the Audio Cartel Facebook page and i see sometimes jobs for A2s advertised for a season of a production. Another thing I think I might be able to apply for. Are there more Facebook groups like that but in different geographical locations I could potentially join? And or big, reoccurring events that advertise their tech positions that I can seek out?

(All assuming covid is retreating and the world doesn’t devolve into WW3 of course. It could also be the age of global travel is well and truly over but in case it isn’t, even if I can’t do it straight away now feels like the time to plan how it could be done).

And if any of you want a working holiday in sleepy little Adelaide, South Australia, contact The Adelaide Fringe, The Garden of Unearthly Delights or Gluttony with your resume, the majority of their crew are ring ins from interstate and over seas.
Might be wild doing a concert while the world is ending... kinda like the orchestra on the sinking Titanic ;)

Yes that sounds like a great idea realizing your world work travelling dream, hopping from one country to the next getting paid along the way, probably the only tricky bit would be work visas.

Schengen work permit sounds like a valuable acquisition. Any idea what events and or companies might be good to cold canvas for work once I have it?

I do know a couple of US techs (from this forum in fact, yay for online global connectivity), you've reminded me I haven't followed up on those leads properly yet.