Hurricane Irene

Pat Latimer

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Charleston S.C.
www.charlestonmusichall.com
I think we here in Charleston S.C. are just going to catch the edge of this Monster.

Everyone on the East Coast above me, please stay safe and have an Emergency Preparedness Kit ready to go.

I've been through a few of these and they are nothing to play around with!

Please stay safe and look out for your neighbors and loved ones.

Pat

Re: Hurricane Irene

My first (and last hopefully) hurricane experience was Katrina. So I went out and bought a bunch of supplies including flats and flats of bottled water. So when the neighbors told me to fill my bathtub with water I thought there's no need to, I'll have plenty to drink.

What I didn't consider is that it takes water to flush toilets ... nuff said.

I lost electricity for almost a week after katrina (the power co had to drop in a new power pole to replace mine that got trashed), but i didn't run out of cold beer.

Come to think of it I don't think we ran out of water pressure,, old school huge water tower in the middle of town.

With good (johnny) beer who needs water. :)

JR

It's starting to become a mess around here. I'm listening to the fire dispatch on one of my radios and it has been non-stop water rescues. They called in the national guard to evacuate a neighborhood that was flooding. There are a lot of reports of trees and wires on fire, but the electric co. is not sending anyone out due to the weather.

Not really a lot of wind, just flooding and all the associated problems.

All the major media were really playing up how bad this storm was going to be, then it turned out to be little more than a good noreaster.Nothing to sneeze at,but not a Category 2 hurricane. It's always better to prepare for the worst,but I just wonder when the next one comes through,how many people will disreguard the warnings because Irene didn't live up to it's billing?

Well, our power stayed on all night and we didn't get any water in our basement. The local river has moved from its normal height and location (at least 200 yards from the road) to being right next to it.

Honestly, I didn't feel unprepared for this storm, and I thought it was going to be much more dramatic and destructive around here. The wind is picking up a bit and I think we're still supposed to get anoter band of rain, but it doesn't feel any different than other larger storms that have hit us.

I'll have to see how Ocean City, NJ is looking...fiancee's family has a house about 2 block off of the beach. Hopefully it's still there and in good condition.

Just got back from checking on my shop and everything survived ok. There were some empty soda cans that had been sitting on a car in the parking lot prior to the storm and they didn't even get blown over! We did see a few uprooted trees and some with broken limbs on the way over. The road near my shop floods out all the time, this is what's left of what were probably some very large puddles.

Attachments

• flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 0

Even though the wind levels were low the storm moved slow enough that the ground got saturated and we lost a lot of trees. It may s rf ill be days without power.Fortunately we did not get the storm surge or flooding like the last storm we had.

xdfkwj.jpg

It's not that bad, but I guess it's time for a new roof... Unfortunately, the wind is still gusting up to 55, and has been for hours so the roof is just getting worse. I should've taken a picture of the back earlier. There are pieces of it all over our back yard, lol

Hmm.. How so? We also had a satellite dish on the side of our house, that is currently nowhere to be found...

Hello Ben,

The roof does look a bit weird...but, not that it was necessarily installed improperly, but that, it looks like tree branches and/or debris were dragged across the roof....the shagging..ripped....dog-eared looking shingles.

Hammer

Vermont is devastated. Many of my friends are stranded in towns that are no longer accessible by road. I feel very fortunate to have made it home, was in Hunter, NY, doing a festival. My car was in Rutland, I live in NH. The Sunday schedule was cancelled, and the very wise decision was made to put the headliners on at noon and 1:30 Saturday and move the rest of the event indoors, so our event was over around 3:00. This allowed us to leave the site around 7, picked up my car and was home before midnight. Storm all day Sunday, and then the reports started coming in. My route home, as well as EVERY other major road in Vermont other than the interstate highways was closed in at least one section. Bridges are out, complete sections of road are gone, others are impassable due to wreckage, downed trees, powerlines, or flooded. There are downtowns under water. The pictures are unbelievable. "Vermont flooding 2011" on Facebook has a lot.
This may not have been the apocalypse that was predicted south of here, but it is much, much worse up here than anyone could ever have imagined. The scale and scope of this disaster is truly epic for this area.